Need Help with Milk

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
I am thinking my 18 month old daughter is allergic to milk. She has been sick for the past 6 weeks or longer. We just tried cutting out her soy milk for the past week and she has gotten better. We have tried giving her milk twice in that week and both times she got wheezy and had a very wet sounding cough. She is on soy milk because she is also lactose intolerant. Sorry I dont have more time to give you background information right now I am headed to work.

I am looking for alternative things she can drink. Right now she is only having water and pedialyte once in a while. I switched the times she would normally get milk to pedialyte because it was the only thing I could think of without sugar, and we have limited those times to just before nap. I am not fond of the idea of giving her juice, I dont like all the added sugar, and she has only had it a handful of times in her life.

November 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! My oldest has issues with both dairy and soy, so I know your pain! The doc told us that milk and soy proteins are very similar, so often if a little one is having problems with one, the other will accompany. There are several milk alternatives-almond, coconut milk are both good-but they are in the tree nut family; so that would be something to consider. We use rice milk around here, but rarely. They have vanilla and chocolate flavors, it has an ok taste. I don't think either of my boys really cared for a milk texture anyways; so they just drink juice that I water down. They have a good enough diet otherwise that I generally feel ok with the lack of milk.

November 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel like I should be honest-my watered down juice is about 2/3 water and 1/3 juice usually. There are times when its more juice, closer to 50/50, but I prefer the first. I'm not crazy about the sugar either.

November 9th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny uses rice milk. It is very low calorie though so I would talk to her doctor before switching her. You will need to give her calcium supplements and likely a daily vitamin of some sort to fill int he vitamins she isn't getting with milk. If you use almond, coconut, hazelnut or any other nut based milk make sure you rotate it with a rice or hemp based milk. The over expsure to nuts or prolonged reliance on nuts can generate intolerances to those. The rice milk works fine for us. Danny uses the original enriched which helps with the vitamin issue. If she has any sort of trouble gaining weight do not put her on rice milk. With the lost calories from soy milk to rice milk(which is a smaller jump than from cows milk to soy milk) he lost 2 pounds in two weeks. He also has an enzyme defficiency...which we idn't know about at the time...that kept him from being able to digest fats or protiens. Make sure to talk to her doctor before switching her "milk." That is basically my point... sorry...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 10th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Thank you for your help. We have an appt next tues to have her tested for milk and soy allergies. And until then the ped's recomendation is to use Good Start formula. Emfilimel and Similac the first two ingredients are milk and lactose protein blah, blah, blah; good start the first ingredient is wheat something. We tried it last night and she didnt have any wheezing or coughing! I was so excited. Maybe I figured this out after 7 plus weeks and before the doctor.

November 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is GREAT!!! Just be aware that digestive allergies...especially milk and soy...normally will not test positive on a skin prick test. You have to have a skin patch test done for non-IgE mediated allergies. If you get a negative prick result ask for a patch test before taking her off of the formula or adjusting her diet.

December 1st, 2010, 04:45 AM
What is a patch test? How is it done?

They have done a blood draw and tested the IGe's but that came back negative. I read from other parents that it is common for the blood test to have a false negative or a false positive, so then we went ahead and did a skin prick test. I am so sick of testing, but I am also sick of my baby being sick. After two weeks of being on formula now she has had diarrhea for the past 5 days. I didnt give her the formula at bedtime last night so I am hoping that today it will start to get better...plus that would just prove my theory.

December 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A skin patch test is where they fill an aluminum cap with milk, soy, and any other allergen in a powdered form. The cap is taped to the child's back for 48 hours and then is read in the allergists office 15 minutes after removing the cap. Danny's tests of every other kind...other than exposure...came back negative but the patch test for milk and soy were glaring positives. They test for protein intolerances rather than actual allergies which are usually responsible for these types of symptoms. The best part is that the child doesn't have to ingest the food to have a reaction or to be tested.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search