We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Danny was at his preschool program last night and they had apple cider. (100% apple juice with 2 cinnamon sticks in a pot) We were excited because he could drink it...or at least we thought... He drank it and within minutes his upper lip where it had touched his skin was red...all I could think was great, now he is allergic to something else! But a few minutes after that his lip was swollen...I couldn't even see that he had lines between his nose and mouth. I was officially freaked at that point because even witht he red 40 in the koolaid about a month ago, he got sores on his face that lasted about 2-3 days but his face never swelled... Thankfully a few other children in his preschool have ana reactions to peanuts and the moms always have epi's and benadryl meltaways. One mom gave him a meltaway and within 20 minutes he was back to normal. He was acting funny from about 10 minutes after he drank the cider until about 15 minutes after the benadryl. He got really pale about an hour after the benadryl too but he was breathing fine. This has reall gotten me freaked out because there are only two things this could be. The allergist said cinnamon is a pretty common allergen for kids so to avoid that 100% and we will test for that when he goes in on 11/18. The only other possibility is that the pot that cooked the apple cider had been used a few days before for another version of cider that had red 40 in it. The coordinator told me afterward that there was one spot in a crevice where they had a hard time getting it clean and may have missed some...even though they thought they had gotten it all or wouldn't have used it. So either he has a SEVERE allergy to red 40, (the contamination spot would have been spread through about 2 gallons of apple juice) or a new allergy to cinnamon. Do any of you know of a test for red 40? We could do an in office food challenge if it comes down to it but I would rather do a test...
My biggest obstacle right now is finding a store that carries the type of Benadryl he can have. The dye-free was recalled in June and the only other one without red 40 is the strip kind. I have been to three stores and haven't found one that carries it yet. >
I hate that the dye-free was recalled too...ridiculous!! I don't know about a test...the dyes were one we figured out on our own. Good luck figuring it out! I'm glad the other mom was there...how scary that must have been for both of you Def. let us know what they say!
No, they were the quick dissolve strips. The closest place that I found to us that still has them is over an hour away!!! We got the allergist to call in a prescription for an allergy medicine that is used as often as benadryl but is prescription only and has no dye at all. The stuff looks like water. We go on the 18th to rule out a cinnamon allergy. If the cinnamon comes back positive than we can go back to eating red 40 that is in stuff that will not get on his face. If it comes back negative than red 40 is 100% eliminated because the last three exposures he has had went from a little redness, to sores, to extensive swelling. I don't want to see what exposure number 4 would be...
I have a cinnamon allergy, Mine is really serve though, i cant even go into store that have candles or the scent of cinnamon. I swell and my thoat closing, not a good experience. I hope he doesnt have an allergy to cinnamon!
The verdict is in... He has an allergy to cinnamon. His skin test was a 3+ on the scale of 0-4+ so it is severe but it isn't anaphylactic. So good news for us because that means we can let him have red 40 as long as it doesn't touch his skin but we have to carry a Benadryl type medication with us 24/7.
Thanks for the update even though I'm late getting to it
Sounds like good and bad news, I'm sorry he has something else for you (and him) to deal with; but glad its not anaphylactic!!! Have you found any other benadryl subs? Just curious. We have been using the regular kind and haven't had many problems, so I'm thinking maybe that's one I can go back to using.