One and a half....

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Regular
Such a small number.....such a big problem....Nathan ate one whole cashews and two bites of another yesterday afternoon. He immediately started crying and saying his throat hurt. I stupidly assumed it went down the wrong way and scratched his throat. WRONG! Within a few minutes he was slobbering and choking on the slobber. I was on the phone with the allergist's office she heard him and said give him the epi pen. I did and it hurt and he grabbed his leg and was crying more. I tried to get him to the hospital myself but went maybe 1/4 of a mile when he started slobbering so much he was gagging and choking so I pulled in Steak N Shake and called 911. Within 2 minutes the fire truck and ambulance showed up and they said as long as he is crying he is breathing. But he couldn't talk. He was kept telling me "I want to go home" but he couldn't say the words...it sounded like when a deaf person talks. That's the only way I know how to describe it. We got to the hospital and they checked him out and got the pulse/ox thing on his finger and an iv in his arm. It took a long time for him to be able to talk normally again. His little face was swollen, he had hives under his eyes and in a line up the middle of his forehead. His little ears were redder than red as were his cheeks. We arrived via ambulance at the hospital at 3:17 and we got home a little after 8. They kept him for around 3-4 hours after the steroid kicked in to make sure he didn't have another reaction. He was such a trooper and was so good. We were just told to go to an unrestricted diet a few weeks ago. He had been eating peanut butter m &m's and whatever he wanted. It was the single most horrific day in my life. No child should have to go thru such an event and no mother should have to watch that happen to their child. It was absolutely awful.

Now I'm scared to death to take him back to preschool. I think maybe I will just homeschool him...who cares if he knows how to interact with other kids...that's the least of my concerns at this point. We went in and talked to his teachers this morning and they assured us that they would keep him safe. I've just ordered him a nut allergy alert bracelet and I think I'm going to get some stickers too to put on his shirt he's at school. I don't ever want that to happen to him again.
November 12th, 2010, 06:27 AM
CocoCake's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How terrifying! Thank goodness he's ok now.

When you say "We were just told to go to an unrestricted diet a few weeks ago..." did they think he had out grown his allergies? I'm just curious, I didn't go looking through your post history.

November 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry you and Nathan had to go through this. How scary! I've never had to administer the epi pen and hope to never have to.

I see that you already had an epi pen. What are his food allergies that you have to have one for him already?

I do homeschool my FA child along with his older brother who is not FA. But his multiple food allergies are only part of the reason why I homeschool. There are other reasons that I will not go into here. I just want to say that he is a very social boy. It's just his personality. He is the most talkative out of my 3 children.

Jenn
November 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Regular
His history is confusing (at least to me). 2 years ago he skin tested positive to peanuts but has never had a known reaction to peanuts. A RAST also said .11 and .10 is negative...so very very mild...He was never tested for tree nuts and basically the drs. told me he could eat peanuts as long as no reaction and they were confident his reaction would be limited to skin. Last year he tested negative for peanuts. I took him to a different doctor in a bigger city for clarification (I had heard good things about these drs) and they did an $800+ igg4 tests which I now know are useless b/c they only measure exposure not allergies...anyways that moron dr. told us he was allergic to milk and eggs which he isn't. So I took him back to his old allergist and he looked thru records and everything and he felt confident that he could eat peanuts and be fine...so I honestly didn't think twice about letting him try the cashew. So we found out the hard way. And I feel horrible. It's all my fault. I made the choice to let him try it. I am so mad at myself.

He is scheduled for a full food panel skin test next Thursday. I think she said 64 foods including the tree nuts (which I'm kind of nervous about b/c of that reaction on Wednesday). They are also scheduling some more in depth blood tests.

Poor guy was getting hit from everywhere...he was eating things that had the "may contain" on the label, letting him eat basically whatever he wanted and I just looked at his bath soap (Johnson's Naturals) and it has coconut in it. Nuts are everywhere...they shouldn't even exist.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search