Soy vrs Lactose free milk?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
...its probably a really stupid question, but I was just wondering what the difference was.

BTW, I'm Lesha co host from March 08.... I came here looking for the answer, and would like your opinion...

My oldest son has problems with milk, Im not sure if its considered an allergy... the only problem he has with milk is, severe constipation, which one time has landed him in the ER because his instestines would not break up anything.

He was given a nasty citrus drink at the ER (cant remember the name...) to loosin things up, and when I took him to his new ped (we just moved) she was floored that they would give a 3 yr old the drink, citrate sulfate.. I believe its something like that. So anyway she prescribed him an over the counter laxitive to get things moving.

He's had probs with constipation since he was born. His previous ped put him on skim milk when he was younger instead of whole.

He was able to drink skim milk and eat yoqurt and cheese, until just recently. Now if he has too much, he gets stopped up again. We have wic and I would like to talk to my ped about getting a note to have WIC start giving him soy or lactose milk... but im not sure which one would be the best for him.

He is currently drinking soy milk, has been for a bout a week, to try it out. So far things are okay, but Im watching his milk intake (including cheese and yogurt products.) He loves his milk, so I'm trying to find a way he can drink more of it. I wasnt sure if the soy was the best choice or if lactose would be the way to go?

Im sorry this is so long... lol any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
November 15th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Sorry I am just getting back to you, I have had a crazy few days with family-4 members of extended family all landed in the hospital seperately on the same few days..and I ended up visiting my grandmother who was one of them..3 hrs away. Anyways, haven't had time to check in!

On to your post.. It sounds to me like he can digest the milk/dairy protein, just not in large amounts, and I'd assume if he doesn't have problems with soy products then he'd do just fine with the soy milk. I haven't ever used the lactose free milk, so I don't really know what to tell you there. In my experiences though, it has seemed that the only time there is a worry about using soy milk is if theres a known/possible reaction to soy, or a lot of times, milk and soy reactions occur together in very young ones. But he is a little older, so if he's had soy products before with no issues, I'd feel ok with soy milk if it was up to me. I hope this helps a little... and it is a little surprising that they used the citrate stuff. That is what we use on grown men at the hospital where I work...and its more of a last resort even then.

November 16th, 2010, 01:21 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Thanks so much, I was just wondering if there was a big difference between to two! He's seems to really enjoy the soy milk, more so then reg milk, he loves that its his special milk and his brother cant have it.. lol

Im sorry to hear about your family members in the hospital! I hope everything is okay!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search