Thanksgiving

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So how do you handle this big holiday revolving around food?

This year we're supposed to spend Thanksgiving with my ILs. DH isn't sure it's going to happen, but that's a whole 'nother story. Anyway, we go to DH's aunt's place. While they make great food and are lovely people to be around, they always do what they've done forever and make 4 dishes (turkey, ham, stuffing and sweet potatoes) - none of which Luc can eat, at least the way they make it - which they do not vary from. No one brings anything else other than desserts bc they just don't. So I will have to make an entire Thanksgiving meal for Luc - plus some of what I would consider staples for Thanksgiving like mashed potatoes and corn for my kids.

What will Thanksgiving be like for you?

Jenn
November 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry for the late answer...things have been super hectic!!
For me- we go to my mom's for Thanksgiving, and Dh's fam does theirs on Sunday. They've always done that and I'm so glad we don't have to choose!
My mom is great about making a couple of dishes that the boys can eat, so they are usually pretty happy. DH's mom says she makes them so they're safe, but usually they aren't. But honestly since its one meal, and its usually the more minor allergies; I just let the boys eat and do benadryl when we get home.

I wouldn't do it that way if I knew the stuff they were eating would really really bother them; but this way its just minor breakouts that are easily controlled with a little cortisone; so its just easier. Sort of a bad mom moment, but it keeps most everyone happy you know? DHs sisters are bad about offering them stuff, but generally I can just give him "the look" and he steps in and stops it. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

November 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We are at my mom's for turkey day. My mom is really good about things most of the time because we lived with her for about a year and a half. We are supposed to go to ExDh's parent's house (even though Ex-DH won't be there) but I have to bring an entire meal for him from my mom's house because it is just too overwhelming for them to adjust to all of his allergies. They would rather me bring his food than risk their food hurting him. I am 1000% in favor of that one. There is only one person that thinks she can adjust. For an idea of how poorly she does so when we thought he had Celiac's I told her all that he couldn't have yada yada yada and she fried his hamburger in flour(yes, wheat flour) since he couldn't have a bun. o.O Seriously???

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
lol! People are crazy. Maybe one day our little ones will appreciate all the fights we've been through for them. Not that it matters....I'll still fight anyways.

November 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
me too.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search