So frustrated! No allergies

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
So my daughter doesnt have any allergies, but you are probably the only moms that can relate right now. She has been sick on and off since May, and it seemed when I traced everything back that it was dairy and soy. Well they did an IGE test and a skin test and both came back negative. Well after 2 blood draws, 18 month shots, flu shots, and a skin test I said no more testing. Per her ped and the allergist recomendation I decided that we would put her back on formula until she turns two and then try milk again. She was put back on formula on November 11, on Nov. 26th she got diarrhea again, and right now her butt is so red I dont know if she will be able to go to daycare today and wear a diaper all day.

November 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor thing! My ds1 had a dairy and soy allergy that was affected by formula, so I can feel your pain. But we just ended formula early and didn't do milk. I can tell you that crisco-vegetable shortening makes a great lotion/protectant. And the butt being red is definately one symptom of dairy allergies-that's what both of mine get when they have exposures. I'm sorry the tests weren't definitive...I hope we can provide a little support though!

December 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Did they do the skin patch test or just the skin prick test? The patch test is the one that has the best result for digestive allergies. My DS had a milk and soy protein intolerance which were not IgE mediated and only showed up on the skin patch test. He had to go on a prescription, amino acid-based formula. If she has diarrhea then obviously something isn't right. If she is old enough and has a pretty stable weight I would try rice milk or goats milk. The proteins in goat's milk are pretty similar to those in cow's milk so that may not work but it is high in fat which is what the LO's need. If you know she is having issues because of the milk and soy then ignore what the tests say. Their accuracy is severely limited until at least three years old. False negatives are really common. If you know she has issues with milk and soy, cut them out. You can try leaving soybean oil and soy lecithin in her diet as those have VERY low amounts of the protein and widely increase the types of foods she will be able to eat still. My allergist has always told me that eventhough Danny has never actually had a positive test to eggs and carrots, we know he is allergic to them through food diaries. The test doesn't matter near as much as the physical evidence. (((((HUGS)))))

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

December 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
Well the butt is getting better. We saw the ped again Thursday evening, he spent over 45 minutes talking to us and he really thinks this is a gastro problem. I disagree. I have felt from day 1 that this is an allergy problem. So I have a family friend, she is a chriopractor and a genius medically speaking. I told her everything that is going on, plus had the clinic fax her all of Cora's labs. Her first question was if Cora was drinking any milk when she was tested, and she was not. Therefore she said instantly that my test results were wrong! Oh was I happy to hear that. She figures that Cora probably has a dairy and soy sensitativity. Her IGe blood test 0-20 is normal, Cora's came back at 19, and if it was 21 they would have just said she has an allergy, and she wasnt drinking milk at that time.

Her ped wants me to do a "challange" at this time. I am to put her on rice milk for about 2 weeks until she is back to normal, then go back to the formula. If she gets sick again, that will prove that it is something other than a stomach bug. I know it is not a stomach bug! So I am thinking we may just stick with the rice milk and call it good.

December 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
YAYAYAY!!!! Danny went from Allegists to GI's back to allergist's back to GI's then to both, then just the allergist. I am REALLY glad you are able to avoid this mess!!!!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search