? Dairy Intolerance?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2010, 06:53 AM
The Jen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! My name is Jen, I am mom to Isabelle (2) and Nikolas (15 months).

My question is: can anyone tell me what a dairy allergy/intolerance rash looks like? I have googled for images, but have not found any good pictures.

The reason for my question, if it helps give me any more answers...

My dd (background below) was kept off dairy starting at about 13 months. We are currently trying to figure out what is going on with my ds. Starting around 11 1/2 months we introduced cows milk in addition to him continuing to breastfeed and use pumped breastmilk. I never cut anything out of my diet while breastfeeding and he never had any problems. Around 12.5 to 13 months he developed 6-8x a day diarrhea and of course a rash because he was stooling so much. We did stool samples/cultures, with them all being negative. We added probiotics to his diet with no change in the diarrhea. We cut out dairy with a small improvement. He is now 15 months and continues to have diarrhea, though not as frequent, usually 1-3 times a day. This past week he developed a red patchy rash that turned into a blister like diaper rash, which is progressively getting better. Prior to him being 12.5 months old he had NEVER had a diaper rash. He also received cheese a few times the 2 or so days prior to starting with the rash. We use rice milk/cheese in place of cows milk.

BACKGROUND on DD
When Isabelle was younger (starting at approx 13 months) she had what was thought to be a dairy intolerance. She would develop diarrhea and get a very bad diaper rash after consuming dairy (she had had several diaper rashes through infancy as well). We switched her to rice milk, watched other dairy intake and she did ok unless someone slipped and she got cheese or something else with a significant amount of dairy. Prior to deciding that it was indeed most likely the dairy, we saw a GI doc and had other testing done (stool samples, blood tests, tests for celiacs) - with all that being negative - she was diagnosed with Toddler's Diarrhea (I hate this diagnosis) and we were told to continue to avoid dairy products, since that appeared to make her symptoms worse. I now look back and question if I should have pushed for further allergy testing, but I didn't want to put her through more than we already had - and avoiding it seemed to help, so we stuck with it. She is now able to tolerate dairy in moderate amounts without any side effects (though she does still seem to have loose stools, but no rashes, as she is potty trained).

Interested in Cloth Diapers and other kid/baby products? Then Check out my store!! www.chickadeebabies.com
December 12th, 2010, 03:05 AM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
I cant tell you what the rash looks like, but your children seem to be exactly what my DD is going through. Ped is convinced it is gastro right now, but I am convinced that she is a dairy and soy protein sensitive. I will try to keep this short....12 months switched to whole milk-she got diarrhea, lactose intolerance runs in the family. 15 months we tried soy milk, she went through 2 months of cold and flu symptoms constantly. 18 months we went back to formula-she was on Similac Sensitive as a baby and was fine, after 2 weeks of being back on it she developed diarrhea for 5 days, I took her off it and she is fine now. During all of this time we have done the stool tests, and the blood tests, and the skin prick tests. Everything came back normal for us. I have a family friend that is a chriopractor and very into natural methods of healing, and health foods. This friend went over all of my DD's lab tests, and went through a much more detailed history, and felt that DD is sensitive to dairy and soy although she is not allergic.

If I were you I would skip the testing, I have also decided we are done with testing. My DD's IGe test for dairy and soy allergies came back at 19 with 0-20 being normal, and 21 being allergy. Because it was 19 her ped wants me to see the gastro, and I have been forwarned about the toddler diarrhea disgnosis. I can tell you that my DD gets sick off cows milk, soy milk, and on days when she has more cheese or other similar products it loosens things up, so for now she is on rice milk and thats where we are staying.

December 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM
My DD is 6 and she's had a dairy allergy for years now. Her rash is bumpy, splotchy, red, and itchy. She's never had gastro issues associated with her allergy, but perhaps that's because she's never had large amounts of dairy.
December 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a lot of advice for you, but I do know that alot of times dairy and soy protein allergies/sensitivities occur together. You may try cutting all soy products out as well and see what happens. Both of my ds' reactions are typically skin-related, but sometimes dairy will cause them some loose stools and red bottoms right around there. I wish I had better advice, but I would be interested to see if cutting out soy products helps any.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search