I liked the red 40 better....

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We went to the allergist for a follow-up and they decided that the reaction could not have been to the red 40. He had had it too frequently and too recently for that to be the allergy. I still haven't given it to him just incase but now they have no idea what caused it. They are going to retest the cinnamon in three weeks along with tree nuts, retesting milk and eggs, and anything else they think might help narrow it down. When we tested for cinnamon they didn't tell me to discontinue his Zantac but they said to this time so I am wondering maybe the cinnamon is REALLY SEVERE because if the Zantac is supposed to decrease or eliminate the reaction and he had a reaction that bad before (the level below ANA) than it likely is ANA and his food could have been contaminated with cinnamon the day he had the reaction. I am trying to lean towards cinnamon that way I don't stress about he had an ANA reaction and could again at any moment because we have no idea what it is from. I am really hoping we get this straightened out soon.

Have you had the three week wait before? The PA said something about letting his IgE levels getting back to normal before they could get an accurate test. Does it really take three weeks for that to happen or is it an over precaution type thing?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

January 5th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't say this on the other thread, but I was thinking it was really strange that the red40 crossed from topical only to ana. I know our allergist had told us that eczema/skin reactions wouldn't cross like that. But I figured it was something different- since you have good doctors anyways. I am with you, I'm hoping its the cinnamon. That will be a lot less scary than having to guess. I haven't had the 3 wk thing, but we don't deal with the IgE thing either so I'm not a whole lot of help there. Good luck and definately let us know how it goes!

January 6th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The only reason it was considered as possibly jumping was that it wasn't an eczema or other typical skin reaction. Anywhere it touched his skin he would get sores that would look like someone had rubbed his skin with sandpaper and then they would scab over for 2-3 days. I really don't like the whole guess thing either. They won't retest the cinnamon since it was such a strong positive the first time. If we can't find anything else reasonably quick we will treat the cinnamon as ANA until something else comes along that we can recognize as triggering it.

January 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Your son is getting other artificial dyes than Red #40. They are all made from petroleum as are the preservatatives BHA, BHT, and TBHQ. Try eliminating all of them and see if that helps. Lots of kids get reactions to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
We went to the allergist for a follow-up and they decided that the reaction could not have been to the red 40. He had had it too frequently and too recently for that to be the allergy. I still haven't given it to him just incase but now they have no idea what caused it. They are going to retest the cinnamon in three weeks along with tree nuts, retesting milk and eggs, and anything else they think might help narrow it down. When we tested for cinnamon they didn't tell me to discontinue his Zantac but they said to this time so I am wondering maybe the cinnamon is REALLY SEVERE because if the Zantac is supposed to decrease or eliminate the reaction and he had a reaction that bad before (the level below ANA) than it likely is ANA and his food could have been contaminated with cinnamon the day he had the reaction. I am trying to lean towards cinnamon that way I don't stress about he had an ANA reaction and could again at any moment because we have no idea what it is from. I am really hoping we get this straightened out soon.

Have you had the three week wait before? The PA said something about letting his IgE levels getting back to normal before they could get an accurate test. Does it really take three weeks for that to happen or is it an over precaution type thing?
January 6th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Markey !!! Thanks for the contribution, I didn't know that!!

January 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There is no way on earth that I could cut out all artificial dyes. With Danny's allergies shopping at an organic store is harder than shopping at the regular store.I am divorced and trying to do all of this while taking 19.5 hours of college courses every semester. I am overwhelmed beyond words without taking all artificial colors and such out. vh vb

January 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Sure you can. Just start reading the labels on the products you buy and pick the brand that lists none. It's not perfect but you'll be getting rid of most of them. The Feingold Association is a support group that will help you. They have a good website feingold.org There is also a good Yahoo group Feingold Programa 4US. You'll find that many members of both have children with many allergies and some of those allergies have become more manageable after they've been the Feingold diet awhile.
January 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is only one brand of very few foods that he can have without trying to eliminate the petroleum based stuff...To a void them I would literally have to make his food from scratch...all of it. In case you missed it he is allergic to eggs, milk, soy, tomatoes, carrots, red 40 and cinnamon, and currently avoiding tree nuts. He would literally be able to eat nothing that I don't make start to finish...

January 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
oh my gosh... that is so hard I hope you get some good news with him fast.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search