The whole family avoiding... how do you get your family to cooperate?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Megan has celiac disease so not a true food allergy, but similar issues and this was the closest board that could understand what we deal with so I post here. (Plus Steven has a fish allergy, but that one is so easy for us.) Anyhow, Megan's antibody levels are not going down which means she is still getting exposed to gluten. The poor girl is sick all the time. I just feel awful with her telling me her stomach hurts all the time and she's not growing again. So I finally made the plunge and the whole family is going gluten free. Dh is reluctantly on board. I am having problems with Leo and Kaelan the most. They hate gluten free food and I don't know what to do. We are at the grocery store and Leo is just throwing a fit because he wants his cereal and doesn't want to eat gluten free. I totally get his frustration, but he has to get used to this. I told him we could go out to eat and get stuff with gluten, but we can't have it in the house any more because it was making Megan sick. I think that helped some, but I don't know how else to get my other kids to understand and not be resentful of their sister. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
My issues are actually just with Danny. He keeps getting new things to avoid and marking off his favorite foods one at a time has really gotten him upset. Anything that he can't have I try to find a substitute for. He has to 100% avoid tree nuts, eggs, red 40 and cinnamon until we can figure out what caused the ANA reaction he had last month. If I have to take away his favorite candy I replace it with one he can have. If I take away ice cream I replace it with a type of ice cream he can have. I hope that will help.

Kroger is a really good store for gluten free...at least it is here. Some stores have lists on their websites of everything they carry that is gluten free...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Regular
Hi, new here but thought I would chime in. My oldest daughter has autism (and possibly seizures, still trying to figure it out) and is dairy intolerant. My second daughter has Celiac Disease and my youngest we suspect has asthma.

The CD diagnosis was really tough because not only are all the ingredients different, but even textures and such look different when cooking (I mean, who POURS their pizza dough??!?).

We decided to go gluten free as a family which wasn't easy. DH and I set the example and simply said that we do things as a family, both good and bad. We do make exceptions for our oldest - she is non-verbal and doesn't understand very well. But mostly, what I cook is good enough for her to enjoy as well.

The trick for us was to find meals that we all would eat and enjoy. At first it was simple things - broiled chicken, steamed broccoli and rice kind of things. Then we poked around and realized that certain taco mixes were gf. Then we found a pasta that we could all live with for spaghetti and alfredo (classico makes gf alfredo sauces). We managed to get pizza crusts we liked, found gf bread that she loved and then adjusted/experimented with favorite recipes until it was perfect.

Breakfast was the same - depending on whether your child can tolerate oats, Lucky Charms kept everyone happy until I had it sorted out. We make cheese biscuits with chebe mix and re-heat in the microwave. Same with pancakes and bacon. Grits are gluten free as are eggs. I pre-cook omelets and also heat in the microwave. Throw in some fruit and it's a great balance. I sometimes make chocolate chip banana pancakes and they also reheat well. Muffins only last a few days before turning stale, but they go fast.

Snacks and desserts were the hardest. I tried to locate as many gf potato chips as I could find on the snack aisle that the kids were already familiar with (like cheetos and some of the doritos group). Microwave popcorn. I use the nestle cookie recipe for cookies substituting gf flours and I have a great chocolate cupcake recipe. Peanut butter cookies also work well for us. We kept searching for good crackers and when we found ones that our whole family liked, we bought in bulk from amazon. My kids love fresh veggies and fruit as snacks.

Depending on the age of your kids, I would allow them each a gluten snack, but they have to eat it only during times when you could control it. They eat it at the table then immediately wash their hands.

I'm sorry your daughter is still reacting. It's a pain to deal with but we're at a stage where it's not quite so crazy any more.

All the best!
February 8th, 2011, 08:01 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
Hi, new here but thought I would chime in. My oldest daughter has autism (and possibly seizures, still trying to figure it out) and is dairy intolerant. My second daughter has Celiac Disease and my youngest we suspect has asthma.

The CD diagnosis was really tough because not only are all the ingredients different, but even textures and such look different when cooking (I mean, who POURS their pizza dough??!?).

We decided to go gluten free as a family which wasn't easy. DH and I set the example and simply said that we do things as a family, both good and bad. We do make exceptions for our oldest - she is non-verbal and doesn't understand very well. But mostly, what I cook is good enough for her to enjoy as well.

The trick for us was to find meals that we all would eat and enjoy. At first it was simple things - broiled chicken, steamed broccoli and rice kind of things. Then we poked around and realized that certain taco mixes were gf. Then we found a pasta that we could all live with for spaghetti and alfredo (classico makes gf alfredo sauces). We managed to get pizza crusts we liked, found gf bread that she loved and then adjusted/experimented with favorite recipes until it was perfect.

Breakfast was the same - depending on whether your child can tolerate oats, Lucky Charms kept everyone happy until I had it sorted out. We make cheese biscuits with chebe mix and re-heat in the microwave. Same with pancakes and bacon. Grits are gluten free as are eggs. I pre-cook omelets and also heat in the microwave. Throw in some fruit and it's a great balance. I sometimes make chocolate chip banana pancakes and they also reheat well. Muffins only last a few days before turning stale, but they go fast.

Snacks and desserts were the hardest. I tried to locate as many gf potato chips as I could find on the snack aisle that the kids were already familiar with (like cheetos and some of the doritos group). Microwave popcorn. I use the nestle cookie recipe for cookies substituting gf flours and I have a great chocolate cupcake recipe. Peanut butter cookies also work well for us. We kept searching for good crackers and when we found ones that our whole family liked, we bought in bulk from amazon. My kids love fresh veggies and fruit as snacks.

Depending on the age of your kids, I would allow them each a gluten snack, but they have to eat it only during times when you could control it. They eat it at the table then immediately wash their hands.

I'm sorry your daughter is still reacting. It's a pain to deal with but we're at a stage where it's not quite so crazy any more.

All the best!
It's nice to see another person with celiac over here. My kids are doing better. For the moment we are just giving up bread except for Megan's lunches. I just can't afford to buy GF bread for the whole family. The stuff that tastes good is expensive and I've yet to perfect GF bread baking. Once her levels come down to normal I will reevaluate adding gluten back into our house, but at the moment I don't think it's an option. I suspect she is being contaminated at the inlaws. Dh doesn't think so, but I do. They are trying hard, but I think they may be part of the problem. By eliminating things in our house it will be easier to determine where the problem is coming from. I am trying my hardest not to have her eat anywhere outside of the house either, but that is difficult as well. Anyhow, I'll keep plugging along.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Regular
Perfect GF bread is elusive - we haven't found it yet either. We use Udi's for my daughter (and the rest of us eat regular bread). If we eat bread for meals, it's chebe's cheese biscuits or Udi's baguettes.

I'm sure you've checked it, but just in case...no double dipping into peanut butter, butter, mayo, etc? It's one of those weird things that is hard to 'not' do. I finally gave up trying to gauge how much I would need for one swipe through the peanut butter (for regular bread) and bought second jars of those items and wrote Gluten Free on it in sharpie.

Vitamins, meds? Some of those contain gluten.

My in-laws think I'm a bit nuts because I'm gluten manic. I hear, "just a small bit won't hurt" or "I'm on a diet too, I don't eat sugar, but I make special exceptions, she can too" to the point I almost scream. I finally told the family that we're no longer eating at their house and I'll host GF dinners at mine and everyone is invited. My mother does a fairly good job and she's not shy about asking me to send over a bag of pasta or some special flour.

Others (and I've done it too) will look at something and think...there's no way it could hurt her. The last time I did it was a little over a year ago, I made a roast in the crock pot and realized the onion soup mix I put in had 'food starch' in it. Sure enough, she became ill. The amount can be super tiny, but it still affects her. Since then, I call companies or google if I'm not sure. We still make mistakes, but it's much better. Still, it's hard to convince others that yes, she needs a separate peanut butter jar, and yes, that tiny amount will hurt her and No, she can't have the special candy you brought if the ingredients aren't clear and I can't locate it on the internet.

I buy a lot of things in bulk from amazon. Especially pasta and some bread mixes.

Good luck with the search for what's still triggering her. I hope you can figure it out soon. I know how frustrating it can be.
February 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have anything to add, just wanted to comment that I am learning a LOT about CD and GF diseases/lifestyles!! And we did go through the same process of meals, as far as starting with a very limited number of what we knew was safe, and then adding new recipes slowly.

February 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't. Our whole family does not avoid Luc's allergens bc he is just allergic to too many common foods. As it is, it is very expensive to buy his allergen free foods. We wouldn't be able to afford for all of us to eat his diet.

I think the only things that we share that is specially Luc safe is soy sauce, oyster sauce and ketchup. I do generally try to make things that Luc safe but if it's not, I try my best to have an equivalent.

Jenn
February 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I got to the point that no one but myself and my mom was aloud to cook for Danny. He was getting exposed too much to too many things because in laws and grandparents on the other side just didn't get it. For well over a year unless my mom or I cooked, we had separate food for him. After that they finally got it in their heads that if it wasn't just as he could have it than I wouldn't let him eat with them. They finally started asking everyone what it was cooked with and in and what was in it. That was really helpful and we only have one person now that is not allowed to feed him.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search