question

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Super Mommy
Ok
so my littest has some food allergies we are aware of : milk,soy,peanuts(but have also avoided treenuts), strawberries,blueberries,pineapple. And we are thinking a few more, although im not too sure, eggs(he wont eat them anyways) plus some enviromental ones. He is also exclusivly cloth diapered because he is allergic to disposable and the wipes.
I have had to fight my ped to send him to see an allergist, and now we are waiting til may 24 to see one.
Im concerned because he always has a runny nose, he's weezy(he has asthma too), he looks like he has itchy eyes all the time. SO im thinking maybe dust or something but not too sure. We do have 2 kittens but he was like this before we got them.
How would I go about seeing if he's allergic to the other foods i suspect?
his reactions are usually hives and explosive bm.

February 3rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with the docs..that sucks. As for identifying the other allergens, the only way I know other than testing is physically trying them. The only thing I see with that is its scary that he's already had hives. If you decide to try something, you should def. have some benadryl ready, and be ready to go to the doc/ER if needed. I will also say that our pedi. allergist is awesome. While we were diagnosing Ds1, I asked about some foods I suspected were causing problems that didn't show up on the radar, and would he want to test those too. He said the best thing in his opinion was not to bother with the testing for stuff you already know as a mom. If you know/suspect something is the cause, get it out of the diet and see what changes. He said that is really the best answer.
That sucks that it is so many different allergies too. One thing that *really* helped my 2 to fight off the less extreme symptoms like the stuffy nose/skin irritants was a nightly dose of Zyrtec. I know that Logan's dose has always been the same as tylenol for the other meds, and his has been 5mLs forever. That is OTC and could be something that may help with the symptoms until you have answers.

February 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Regular
Have you tried keeping a food diary and seeing what patterns emerge? It's time consuming and a bother, but it really does give answers. You could list all he is eating and when you see the symptoms. After a few days, perhaps you could find a pattern and then experiment by removing it to see if things resolve.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but want to mention it anyway. Have you tried changing to allergen free laundry detergent, fabric softener, soaps, etc? And make sure that you change it for yourself as well. I quit using perfume because it made one of my daughters cough all the time.

I'm sorry you have to wait so long to see an allergist. Those long waits are frustrating.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search