Just when I thought there was nothing else I could possibly take out of his diet...

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
He has to go organic/raw food. If you have ever shopped at earthfare for EVERYTHING you know what I will be up against. He needs to go 100% organic, no sugar, no excess carbs, avoid breads, minimalize fruits, high protien and high fat. His meats need to be pasture raised, grass fed, organic, no hormone/antibiotic containing meats, and I need to find "raw" milk which means 100% straight from cow to container....same stipulations from meat apply to the cows that the milk comes from. The naturopath is hoping that this will allow Danny's immune system to calm down. His white blood cell counts fluctuate from sky-high to dangerously low with no apparent reason and even when they are sky-high he gets sick because his immune system is "distracted" by fighting off something that it perceives as attacking Danny's body. All of the additives, fillers, chemicals, preservatives, and such attack a weakened immune system and sugar and carbs are prone to wreaking havoc on his immune and endocrine system. We have to go in for a fasting glucose test to see just how much it has affected him so far but until we get all this straightened out, grocery shopping will be a nightmare. BTW, buying "raw" milk for human consumption is illegal in Tennessee so we have to buy it "for our pets." How stupid is that? You can buy a share in a cow and get it that way but this is just rediculous that they make it illegal to sell cow's milk that hasn't been processed and changed and such. The naturopath is hoping that the raw milk will be 1) easier for Danny to digest because the proteins are in the natural form. When milk is pasteurized the proteins are changed and are thus not recognized as easily by our bodies. 2) Raw milk has enzymes that are naturally occurring but are damaged or destroyed when it is pasteurized. He is hoping that this may decrease Danny's dependency on enzyme supplements by promoting his pancreas to produce enzymes again.

I am hoping that this will be one of those adjustments that is going to take a lot of work at the beginning but once I get in the swing of things it will be MUCH easier. It seems so overwhelming but so has every other adjustment I have had to make and they worked out fine. I am trying to be optimistic and hope that this will work.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Regular
Would goat's milk be an acceptable substitute? I've heard the proteins in goat milk are easily digested. We've purchased goat's milk and my daughter likes it.

Good luck - we're trying to do more organic here but we're mostly taking advantage of opportunities in our neighborhood (such as our neighbor who raises chickens and sells eggs).
February 12th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Wow..

We do lots of organic foods here.. I can't imagine going all out Organic.. It gets expensive and such limited qty's..

I wish you lived in my area.. We have butcher shops here, you can buy RAW milk,etc..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 12th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
February 13th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is a farm that is somewhat locally but has "host homes" that they will ship your order to and you pick it up there. You can buy raw milk for your imaginary pet...as long as you say it is for a pet. It is made for human consumption, just has to sold as pet milk because it is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption in Tennessee. I am looking at that farm to get all of our meat products from as well as our butter and our broth starters. Hopefully that will make it easier. It will be a big up front cost but will be much cheaper in the long run.

Oh and you can buy a share in a cow for $80. Then you get all the milk you want because they aren't "selling it." I love loopholes.

February 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay I guess I am confused as to why raw milk is any better. If he is having problems digesting milk why not just avoid cow's milk altogether.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They want to try unpasteurized milk because when the milk is heated the proteins and enzymes either change forms or are destroyed entirely. His doctor wants to see if Danny can handle the proteins and enzymes in their natural form as he has a milk protein intolerance...not an actaual allergy.

February 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this is getting into very personal stuff; but I am wondering if all of these requirements would make the possibility of recieving disability payments from SSI possible? Or getting into a WIC type program with doc prescribed foods? I know that has to get incredibly expensive. I think you are right though that it is probably going to be hard at first, but I'm sure you will get into a rhythm.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search