Food colouring adventure today.

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So, we knew Rebecca's behaviour changes when she ingests red 40, but never thought anything more of that. Figured we could deal with the occasional behaviour issues if we're aware they're going to happen! So, I let her have a red lollipop today. Yeah. Big mistake. She threw up the lollipop less than 1/2 an hour later. Well, being the genius that I am, I let her have a fun dip thing (she got these as treats at her AWANA on Sunday night, we don't normally use ANYTHING with colouring, because between her with red and me with yellow it's just easier not to). I fed her lunch about 5 minutes later, put her down for her nap, peeked in to check on her, and she's curled up against the wall and about 6 inches from her head is a puddle of vomit. *sigh* ALL the (green) candy she'd ingested came back up too! Talk about panic when you see a neon green puddle of vomit, LOL. So now we're down to "We're NOT FEEDING FOOD COLOURING, plain and simple." I can't figure out how we went from behaviour changes to vomiting, but we did. Our dr. wants us to hold out for 3 years old to test her to get more accurate testing because nothing she's presented with has been overly alarming (this is the first time she's given the item *back* to me, LOL), but seriously... I would have loved to know that giving her food colouring was going to mean I had to clean up vomit a few times today! At least it's only another 9 months.... *sigh*
February 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah, I hated having to avoid dyes. It made me feel so bad not to be able to give T treats. But, if it helps any in the hope department-he will be 5 in August, and is just about outgrown that particular sensitivity. And don't beat yourself up You can't know what you don't know

February 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
How frustrating. All the kids treats seem to have dies in it.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yep. There is a brand of jello I found at walmart recently that is dye free..I can't remember the brand though. smart something or other maybe? Boys like it, it tastes the same to me, but its all natural.

February 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, that sounds like fun! We've just made it with regular fruit juice and gelatin packets, and she likes it pretty well, but for some reason it seems to make a skin on the bottom a lot of times when I make it from scratch!
February 18th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We have a "treat jar" for this very purpose. Anything Danny gets as a treat from anyone, anywhere goes in the treat jar. Depending on how many treats you get you can change the size of the jar but you just get a clear plastic or glass jar and put dollar markings on it...for older kids, for Danny I just tell him when it is full he gets "it." If you use the dollar markings whenever the level of candy gets to their desired dollar marking they get to go shopping for something they can have. Danny picked chalk and a velcro paddle ball set from his valentines jar. This has been the best thing for us because he gets so frustrated when he comes home with a valentines mailbox full of treats and winds up being able to have 2 of them. This has really helped him out in dealing with that and it helps me to redirect his attention when he gets upset about not getting a treat. He will bring me a treat and ask if he can have it. Instead of saying no because it will make you sick or something else that makes him upset I will say, "Nope, but it can go in your treat jar! What happens when your treat jar is full to the top?" Then he gets excited and runs over to his treat jar and puts it in.

I will definitely have to try the gelatin with juice idea... I have never heard of trying that. Oh and the skin is gelatin that didn't stay suspended. It helps you grow thick nails if you eat it frequently.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a good idea! I've been trying to figure out a way to take away the candy without making her (too) upset she's losing her candies-- maybe she'd go for it! We'll have to see, at least.

We've used a few different recipes to make "real juice" jello, one of them worked really really well, the others were iffy. I think there's actually a recipe on the back of the box for the knox gelatin packets, and that's probably the one I liked best. I have a recipe to make jello jigglers using fruit juice too!
February 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hehe... Is that on the back of the knox gelatin box too? I would love to try those.

February 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope! That one is in a cook book I have:

3 envelopes unflavoured gelatin
1 12oz can of frozen juice concentrate
12oz water

Soften the gelatin in the thawed juice and bring water to a boil. Add juice-and-gelatin mixture to the boiling water and stir until gelatin dissolves. Pour into a lightly greased pan and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours). Cut into squares, or use a cookies cutter, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

I've found that olive oil works GREAT as the 'grease' for the pan, if you're able to use that.

ETA: Can't remember what Danny can't have off the top of my head, but you can pour that into a pizza pan instead of a cookie sheet or whatever, let it set, and spread it with vanilla yogurt or whipped cream and put chopped up fruit on top of the spread, and it's jello pizza. Wonderful for parties!
February 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am sure I can tweak the pizza one to make it work. Thank you!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search