What a morning...

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Regular
Nathan had an allergy appointment this morning just for a general check up...we decided to take blood and do ige levels....needless to say he was not happy...the lab girls looked afraid of him while he was having his fit....I guess maybe they've never had a kid in there before who threw a fit

So now we'll know just how allergic he is to the nuts and some other things.....and needless to say we won't be doing a RAST blood test for quite some time!
March 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Aww... how old is Nathan? It is somewhat a blessing in disguise for us that Danny has to have so much bloodwork done. He now just looks at them and tells them which arm to "take the bug juice out of." It is cute and pitiful at the same time.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Regular
He's 4 1/2 and very, very stubborn and head strong
March 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Poor guy. I hope you at least get some useful/helpful information from it.

March 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Regular
NO! I am so ticked I let them put him thru that and got nothing. They did some environmentals which I didn't care about b/c I know he's allergic to everything outside and peanuts (which we had already done) but it actually went higher instead of getting lower and totally didn't do the sunflower seeds like I really wanted to know. and none of the tree nuts to know just how allergic he is. They didn't get enough blood b/c he was fighting them. UGH!
March 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry. Did they do numbing cream on his arm? Maybe that would help? It makes it so that he can't feel it when he gets the blood taken. I really hope you can get some real answers soon but I don't blame you if you don't want anymore tests. Has he reacted to sunflower seeds? If he has reacted and you have an epipen can you just give it whenever he reacts to whatever the allergen is no matter what it was provided for? I am all for not getting him stuck again but if his peanut got worse can you just have the epi for anything he may have an ANA reaction to?

March 11th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Regular
So far the only ANA reaction he's had is to the cashew but the other tree nuts on the skin test were all at least 3s and 4s with cashew (the ana reaction) being at least a 6. I hope he never has to go thru an ANA reaction again. With the cashew his throat swelled shut, he was slobbering, couldn't swallow and was really pale. I am nervous of noticing the symptoms of ana and doing the right thing when I should, if it happens again. My main concern is either overreacting or not reacting fast enough. He is allergic to sesame seeds (it was a 2 on the skin test and a class 0/1 on the rast) and she (allergist) said to also avoid sunflower seeds as a precaution...he has never been tested for sunflower which is why I'd like to have found that one out.....

I don't plan on any more tests for any time in the near future...He's been thru enough. She did switch his allergy meds though from zyrtec to xyzal and it seems to be really great so far...he's been on it since tuesday and has been itching a lot less and is less stuffy so I have pretty high hopes that it will be great for him.
March 12th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Epipen is when any two body systems are involved. vomiting/diarrhea, skin swelling/hives, facial swelling, and watery, itchy, red or swollen eyes are all separate systems. In other words if he has facial swelling (lips, cheeks) and hives or swelling on his hands, feet, neck, chest, etc he gets the epi. If he has breathing issues, mouth swelling, coughing (due to constricting airway), trouble swallowing, etc he gets it regardless of how many systems are involved. That is what our allergist said but I know some doctors just say benadryl unless the "only" systems that I mentioned are there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search