Is this mucousy? (TMI pic warning!)

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies. My DS is almost 3 months old and has had "reflux" since he was born. We have tried several different formulas (milk based) and soy. We thought we had finally found the solution when we tried Similac Sensitive for Spit Up. DS ate it like crazy and was doing really well for about 3-4 weeks then all of a sudden he started vomiting. Vomited for like two weeks and our pedi had us try Alimentum for a few days. Vomiting stopped, didn't seem to have any gas, etc....only thing I noticed was that he didn't eat as much (barely eating 20 oz. a day) and his stools were watery. They basically soaked up in his diaper as urine would.

So, since he stopped vomiting she said that we could give the spit up formula another try and see if maybe it was just a bug or something. He's been back on this formula since Monday evening and I've noticed so far that he's fussier, has painful gas, and sounds "congested". Also, he is red around his eyes like where eyeliner would go.

His stool is back to the way it was the first time he was on this formula. To me it seems a bit mucousy but I'm not sure. I haven't noticed blood or anything but he does have brown, gooey looking streaks in it. I tried to get a pic of it but couldn't.

If you would, please take a look at these pictures and see what you think.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

special thanks to BAM for the awesome siggy!
]
March 16th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That looks like normal baby poop to me Elias has mucousy poop regularly (perpetual runny nose, so he swallows a lot of the stuff, lol), and it looks NOTHING like that. Seriously, think strings of snot in the poop. That's what mucousy poop looks like. And trying to wipe the stuff off the baby's butt is like trying to dislodge strings of glue. ARGH. Can you tell I've been through this for a while? It's part of why I don't get much in the way of dairy products anymore-- they make him WAY worse. As well as peanut products. He throws up ALL THE TIME, and makes major mucousy poops if I eat peanuts. *sigh*

ETA: It is hard to tell from the picture the exact consistency, so if it is really stringy if you pull at it or whatever (we use cloth, so I can do this easily, lol), then I would say it is mucousy. if it just rubs around then I wouldn't. normal poop just squishes up. Mucousy poop doesn't, because it has what looks like snot in it.

Last edited by hiskid1324; March 16th, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
March 17th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for your help. We have an appt. today with his pedi to update her and may get a referral to a pediatric GI if she feels it's needed.

special thanks to BAM for the awesome siggy!
]
March 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
It looks a bit mucousy to me in the way it is "holding to the diaper" on the edges. It looks like it may have that stretchy/stringy texture. It it has that than it is mucousy. If you pull and it just sloshes around (aka poop isn't sticking to anything just seeping into the diaper) than it is not mucousy.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search