We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My son had an appointment for the first time yesterday with an allergist. His pedi referred him at his 4 year check-up because of his on-going allergy issues. He deals with typical allergy symptoms such as runny nose, congestion, itchy, watery eyes, etc. along with some not as typical symptoms such as hives (random outbreaks that we haven't pinpointed a cause or common link), eyes swollen shut (also random), ezcema (constant) that has been determined to not be true ezcema but either contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, or allergic reaction in general. Anyway, yesterday they did the food allergy testing. In 3 weeks we do the environmental test. It was the test with like 12 allergens on each panel, they put 6 panels on his back, and at the end of it is a plastic thing that they poke his back with which contains the allergen. It doesn't get inserted underneath his skin. Not sure what this particular test is called, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
Anyway, they also did the negative and positive control at the top to base each result off of. The positive result was his 3, and the negative was his 0. Everything came back a 0 except for peanuts which got a 2. Asher doesn't eat peanuts or peanut butter really, though. He doesn't eat PB&J, peanut butter candy, etc. But he does like Chick-Fil-A a LOT which of course uses peanut oil to cook the food. Obviously he didn't have a major reaction since he got a 2 as opposed to the 3, but what are the chances this is a false positive? The doctor said that since he doesn't eat peanut butter or peanuts to just continue not letting him have it since he wouldn't be missing it anyway, and later on we can do a blood test to challenge it. However, I started thinking today about how CFA cooks in peanut oil, and if he is actually allergic we'd need to cut that out which would be hard for him since that's his favorite place. I don't want to have to tell him he can't go there if he's not truly allergic. What are the chances of it being a false positive? Does it sound like it could possibly be a true allergy even though he does eat CFA and doesn't have any problems with breathing or whatever afterwards? Or are not all peanut allergies that serious? Just looking for some info if anyone has some - thanks!