I HATE packaging labelling!!!

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We've been having some "mystery reactions" in the last few weeks, so I started reading labels again, and noticed that Cheerios have the ingredient "mixed tocopherols" now, which they didn't used to have. Knowing that that can be a soy derivative, I called General Mills to find out if it is, and they said it absolutely wouldn't be, because they take their allergy statements seriously and they would put soy on the allergy info if it was soy derived". So... I got a call back today, because I requested that the ingredient be researched because it's one of the only things we could come up with that could be causing the problems.... and they said "It is from soy, but the protein has been removed and therefore should not be allergenic". Yeah. Thanks. At least it explains why our kid has been reacting to "nothing". I really wish they would have noted that it is from soy in brackets, even if they don't list soy in the allergy warning.... *sigh*
March 31st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Regular
I'm right there with ya!
April 1st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Now THAT is just stupid! Are all allergy labels that way? If the protein isn't in there then they don't have to list it? Kids react to the actual food or oil also...not JUST the protein... Jee Whiz!!!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 1st, 2011, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I've been researching it since they told me that, and it's true-- they are not required to list the ingredient if less than a certain quantity of the protein is found in the food item. Hence, soy lecithin may be listed in the ingredients, but not necessarily in the allergy alert... and obviously mixed tocopherols do not have to have anything listing soy beside/below them either. I'm almost afraid to feed my child now that I've read so much about what they DON'T have to tell us!
April 1st, 2011, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So PN/TN are the same way? Kids don't only react to the proteins! That is stupid! So is it not mandatory to say if it is manufactured in a facility that processes nuts? Is that optional???

April 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Regular
yes that part is optional...the FDA requires labeling if it contains the allergen but there is no law requiring a "may contain"/"processed in" statement....A lot of products require calling the company to find out. I have bought a lot of items that have either ended up having to go in the trash and ended up being a waste of money b/c of that reason. Hostess treats used to be safe for nuts but now they are not. I bought some chocolate donuts (which didn't have the warning or may contain on the package and called the company only to find out they are no longer adding the "may contain" statement as they did in the past. With them they use a code by the use by date and you would have to call EVERY dang time with the code to see what plant it was produced in to find out if there are nuts in that plant. The rep told me they decided to remove that "may contain" statement to stop confusion in their customers....and my response to that was that makes no sense b/c some people need that statement. Needless to say we don't buy Hostess products any more.
April 3rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh... This is just rediculous. I wonder if that is why Danny still has some of his issues? This is going to be a royal pain in the rear...

April 3rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Regular
It is HARD! And I have called the SAME company MULTIPLE times and gotten different answers each time....The WORST thing with nut allergies is ice cream. There are NO safe commercially available ice creams and none of them label for it. But ALL ice creams are made on the SAME lines which means obviously that plain old vanilla ice cream could potentially have a cashew or a peanut or a pecan hiding in it. Some companies are better than others. General Mills is excellent with their labeling practices as is Keebler.
April 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yea I noticed today in a chef boyardee can that soy lecithin was listed as an ingredient but not in the warnings. Its pretty dumb. My boys used to react to the tocopherals, but they don't seem to anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search