Egg allergies and flu vaccines

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Moms tha have kids with egg allergies....

Do you get your kids the flu vaccine?
My pedi said don't do it, ( I hadn't planned on it) but when we went for the rest of the vaccines the vaccine nurse said it was ok to do....thoughts??
April 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran
ny son is 13 and has the flu jag every yrs with his health problems..we just discovered he has a egg allergy, its that bad he has to carry an epipen and has been in hospital with it..he has never had a reaction to his jags even having the egg allerly..hth
April 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The allergist said they were okay and I could have the shot administered at their office instead of the pediatrician, but I decided to forgo it. None of us get the flu shot.

We've even separated the MMR vaccine bc it has an egg binder.

Jenn
April 14th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We don't do the flu shot. The reasoning is partly the egg allergy. It really depends on the type of reaction they have to egg and which part of the egg. Egg white, yolks, protein, etc. Danny vomits dozens of times daily when he eats eggs and since he hasn't done all that well tolerating vaccines in general we just forgo that one. Our allergist offered to give it at their office as well so that they could treat any reaction he could have had. If you are wanting to get the vax you can ask your allergist to do it in their office. If you are unsure or hesitant just don't get it. It is optional and if your child has an egg allergy they aren't really going to take that into consideration at a normal peds office. Some children with severe allergies to certain parts of eggs can tolerate the shot and some with mild sensitivities cannot tolerate it...if your allergist said no and you want to get it I would ask what his reasoning is. If it is the part of the egg that your child is allergic to then that will answer the question....

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My son is allergic to Egg whites and he does vaccines just fine..

June 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
We did the flu shot this year. This is the first year we've gotten them though. Our family doctor wouldn't do it and sent us to the Children's Hospital, where we see their allergist and they gave it to her. We had to wait there 30 minutes after the injection to make sure they weren't going to have a reaction. They did fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search