What do you do about holidays that invovle candy?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We used to do the allergy jar where any candy he couldn't have went into the jar but at valentines....he got literally a bucket full of candy and as left with literally 3 pieces. He was so upset and just didn't understand. For Easter I am going to try something different. I went to walmart last night and got him a rocket plush toy from little einsteins, a ball with little einsteins on it, and a helmet with dump trucks. We will be doing out own Easter Egg hunt with trinkets and coins in them instead of candy so that he won't have to get rid of anything. I am really hoping that this will help with the anxiety he usually gets around holidays. On halloween he got a walmart bag *FULL* of candy...he could only eat about 10-15 pieces...and that was BEFORE tree nuts and cinnamon!!! I am just really hoping to forgo the candy deal altogether...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 18th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Regular
I order chocolate online. Also Hershey's is a trustable brand and they have some chocolate bunnies, candy bars, kisses etc that are safe. Dum Dum suckers are safe as are other Spangler brands. Some websites are Vermont Nut Free and peanut free planet which has a lot. Now that I type this I realize you're dealing with more than nuts/sesame but both of those sites are awesome. And I have always done more "gifts" than candy for Easter and Halloween. Vermont Nut Free also has "skippers" which are basically m & m's but safe for those with nut allergies.

On Halloween Nate gets dressed in his costume (if he wants one) and we go to the Pumpkin Patch and usually Subway for dinner. I get him some safe candy. We don't do trick or treating.

Valentine's Day I just order some safe candy or get a giant Hershey's kiss and a few little "gifts".
April 19th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oops...I didn't list what we have to avoid. That would help. lol

Eggs, Milk, Soy, Carrots, Red 40, Cinnamon, Tree Nuts, Strawberry

Candy is a nightmare...

I really like the Halloween idea...we should try that or have the pumpkins and just carve them that day. I also really like the special meal thing. We don't eat out much because of the allergies but maybe I could find somewhere to take him for "candy days."

April 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We avoid soy, nuts, peanuts, and red colour, and we umm.... limit candy intake in the first place, LOL. We let her have one of the things she CAN have and then put it all away.... and then when she asks for a candy, we give her a "treat" instead (either a food treat or a toy treat). But she's only 2 so it's pretty easy to sidetrack her still.
April 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yah, we don't do much candy...we will go throughout the rest of the year and maybe have it 6 times but on "candy holidays" it is dumped on us and everyone at his preschool is talking about all their candy and such... I hope he will do better this time. He cried and cried when I sorted his candy at valentines.

April 25th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't really do candy here, regardless of food allergies. It's only in the last year or so that my 7 yr has had candy and he doesn't even have food allergies.

We do go Trick or Treating, but it's for the fun of it rather than the candy themselves. But some people do give out bags of chips rather than candy, and that's nice for us b/c chips are generally okay/safe.

Last Halloween, I asked the kids (2, 4 and 7) to trade their candy for a prize - they got to pick a toy at Target - and they all agreed. I've read of people doing the Great Pumpkin where I think the kids leave their candy out for the Great Pumpkin who in turn takes the candy and leaves a gift/toy.

Jenn
April 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ooooohhhhh...I like the great pumpkin idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search