No milk or soy, now what?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM
icarryyourheart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Long story short, we just found out our 13 month old son has a milk protein allergy. He's been off milk protein and dairy products for about 10 days now and we've seen a significant turnaround in his symptoms. I nursed up until the last few months when we switched to Nutramigen.

The allergist suggested soy as an alternative. We tried that yesterday, and he woke up this morning with a rash on his legs and lower torso. Same kind of rash he gets with the dairy/milk but nowhere near as bad. He doesn't have any of the GI symptoms he gets with milk protein, and he slept 11 hours for the first time ever last night. His skin test for soy was negative, but I'm leery of using the soy now.

Is almond milk safe? I think rice milk has casein in it? What other options are there? I've been looking online for hypoallergenic toddler formulas and not finding anything. Are we stuck on Nutramigen forever? Even that has casein in it.

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

May 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We use rice dream rice milk.
RICE DREAM Enriched Original Flavor Non-Dairy Beverage

Formula wise, we have had to use high calorie ones but the doc can tell you how to adjust them. The one we used was Neocate Jr. It is right around $50.00 per can and a can lasted us 2 days. Danny was on 4 8 ounce bottles with 8 scoops of formula in each bottle though so if the calorie count is diluted it would last at least 4-5 days easily. Make sure you get the flavored ones though as the unflavored just tastes gross... We got it through a pharmacy on Danny's insurance but I don't know if you have to have a prescription all the time.
https://www.neocate.com/shop/p-22-neocate-junior.aspx? If you order it directly from the company it is cheaper but the cans are TINY... They also make a pudding powder that you add juice to. We did that A LOT.

https://www.neocate.com/shop/c-8-neocate-nutra.aspx?

There is also Elecare.
EleCare® - Abbott Nutrition Store

I hope this helps.

ETA: Children with milk protein intolerance often have a soy protein intolerance as well due to the similarity in the protein structure. Danny tested negative for milk and soy allergies in every way except the skin patch test. These were both glaringly positive on the patch test...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

May 25th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Thank you so much! That was immensely helpful. I called the allergist back this afternoon only ended up more confused!

He tested positive for milk protein on the skin test, negative for soy. But seems to react to soy, not as severely as milk. They are sending him for more bloodwork so we'll see what that says I guess.

Sigh my poor little man! This stuff is all so confusing....

May 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would recommend asking for them to do the skin patch test. It is an aluminum cap that they will fill with a powdered form of the food and tape it to his back...food side on his skin...for 48 hours. They take the caps off in office and check 15 minutes later same as with a skin prick test. It is the only way that Danny's tested positive. If he reacted I would cut it out no matter what the allergist says. We did and eventually were proven right. Cut out soy 100% for 10 days and change nothing else. Then add soy back in. If he has the same reaction that pretty much determines it. You can take pictures and make a food journal of what he eats if your allergist is skeptical. :/

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

May 26th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
If he reacted I would cut it out no matter what the allergist says. We did and eventually were proven right.
That was my feeling too. That's how I ended up cutting out dairy, despite my ped insisting she didn't think he had a milk protein allergy. Lo and behold mama instinct was right.....

So I think we will hold on soy until further notice. I hadn't heard about that skin patch test, I will definitely ask them about it.

May 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can try goats milk as for some people it is tolerated. I prefer it to rice milk and soy ( I worry about the estrogen producing properties so I try to stay away) I also find goats milk to be cheaper, around here you can get it in reusuable glass bottles

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search