milk allergy?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I'm Jen. I have a 9 month old DD, Leah. Twice within the last week, she has broken out in very itchy hives. After the first time it happened I went ahead and took her in to the ped. and she brushed it off as just regular excema (it did look like excema at that point, 24 hours later). However, it happened again tonight, this time worse.

Both times she had accidentally gotten some cows milk. The first time my 3 year old left his straw sippy cup in the kitchen floor and she crawled over and took a few sips. Tonight, DH accidentally put DS's cup on her tray and she took a few sips before I caught the mistake. She also both times had eaten some Gerber toddler chicken sticks (which do contain whey). But I'm pretty sure she's eaten those before with no issues. If not the chicken, definitely the turkey ones (not sure if those have whey or not...) And she's also had other foods that contain whey with no issues.

I know the only way to know for sure what the allergy is to is to have her tested which we will look into.

But, would it even be possible for her to have a milk allergy but have zero reaction before now? She's breastfed, never had formula (won't take a bottle...) I've eaten dairy her whole life and she has never shown any signs of any kind of milk allergy or sensitivity. But this was definitely a reaction to something she ate. It came on so suddenly and tonight within seconds her entire chest and back was covered in hives, which were obviously very itchy because she was clawing at them.

June 13th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Was it strawberry milk both times? If so maybe look into that.

Children can sometimes better tolerate milk as an ingredient or part of an ingredient (whey is an eample) and have a reaction to straight milk. I would take pictures of the reaction or ask to see an allergist. An allergist can do an in office food challenge to actually see the reaction but if it is that quick I would rather have allergy testing.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 7th, 2011, 10:31 AM
jwalk's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jwalk
Sounds EXACTLY like what I am going through with my 9month old son! Have you tried any cheese or yogurt? What about things like those yogurt bites?
November 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, it turned out with more exposure to foods it became very obvious that Leah did have issues with all dairy. Lots of things that I had passed off as just being how she was turned out to all be dairy related! I thought she was just "gassy" and had "sensitive skin", but both were actually reactions to dairy.

She;s now 14 months and has been dairy free since this summer. I have also cut down on my dairy siginificantly (she's still nursing). I can eat some but if I over-do it, she will have diarrhea. We went ahead and did the food allergy blood panel at her 1 year checkup to make sure she didn't have any other food allergies. Thankfully, dairy is her only one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search