I know this isn't a food allergy, but lactose intolerance...

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 07:43 PM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello,
As my title mentions, I know lactose intolerance isn't a food allergy, but I didn't know what other board would work.

My son who is 4, always had massive constipation issues, which we started suspecting was maybe from milk. We finally had him on lactulose to start things moving. Since then, he's been eating/drinking milk products without any issues, until perhaps...

...the past few weeks, he's actually been very gassy and bloated, and yesterday morning he had a bit of vomit (no undigested food, though), and then tonight after eating frozen yogurt, he vomited a small bit of that up a little while later.

So I can't tell if it's some sort of bug that won't shake, or whether it could be a lactose intolerance. His older sister has to be careful how much milk or ice cream she eats because it can make her very nauseous, too.

Anyways, just thought I'd see if anyone had any experiences with this sort of thing (or perhaps I'm on completely the wrong board and no one has dealt with this specifically).

Thanks in advance for any info/advice you may have.

July 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Super Mommy
I'm sorry your son is dealing with this! My suggestion would be to eliminate all milk for awhile and see how he does. Then slowly add some back in and see how he reacts to it. My oldest DS is allergic and can't handle any milk. My youngest DS is intolerant. He can handle little bits at a time, but if I give him too much and he feels yucky, I eliminate it all for awhile and then slowly add some back in. That has worked really well for him.

*Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*
July 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm back to thinking it doesn't have anything to do with milk intolerance...

I'm thinking it could be some sort of bug or parasite. His bowel movements are getting better, but he did vomit last night again (not much, though).

The doc is on vacation for another week and a half, but I think I'll probably take him to a walk-in clinic soon. Although he's acting totally normal, and otherwise eating not too badly, so that's good. I'm not overly worried because of that.

July 10th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would go ahead and cut out the milk for about a week anyway because with stomach bugs it will keep things irritated. My x-DH had lactose intolerance and he could eat some cheese or some yogurt but any more than the equivalent of 1/2 a cheese stick a day would throw his digestive tract into a tailspin.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 14th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, we're going to cut out the milk. He got sick today not long after eating some ice cream, so we're back to thinking that it is a milk intolerance. He does seem to get sick every time he eats ice cream of some sort.

As for the ongoing gaseousness, I'm wondering if it's just the smaller amounts of milk products he gets keeping him like this. (i.e. cheese on pizza, kraft dinner cheese, etc)

I found some lactose-free yogurt and lactose-free sour cream, so I'm happy about that.

July 14th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can also get lactose free milk and ice cream. I think breyers makes it. I hope you guys can get everything straightened out soon. It is a mess trying to figure out what you can have and what is crossing the line. :/ ((((HUGS))))

July 26th, 2011, 02:47 PM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this thread is a bit old, but my almost 4 year old daughter is going through almost the exact same thing. Shes never been able to drink much milk, and when she does it causes her severe stomach cramps, and pain. She also has chronic constipation, that if shes not medicated she will never go on her own. Shes been very constipated since 6 months of age when we began introducing solids. She was a breastfed baby. She recently had her tonsils and adnoids out, and has been eating more ice cream, and drinking more chocolate milk, and she is in so much pain. I took her back to the doc to discuss her possibly being lactose intolerant. The doctor agrees, but at this age, diagnosis is mainly clinical. So today we begin eliminating all lactose and milk products from her diet, for 2 weeks. Doc also done a panel of bloodwork, to look for possible milk allergies, which I highly doubt. I don't even know where to begin with eliminating all milk and lactose products. Milk is in everything it seems.
July 26th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is a lot easier than it seems. The first grocery trip takes several hours to find another brand of a food that doesn't have milk in it. Usually at least one brand will be milk, whey, casein, caseinate, lactose, etc free. It won't say that but the milk based ingredients aren't in the label. Did they give you all the names for milk in labels? I know that nature's own whole wheat bread and walmart brand chicken nuggets are milk free. Danny is also free from many, many other things so they are pretty good allergy wise.

July 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I looked up all the different milk names for milk! Wow, milk is in everything it seems. Our biggest problem with this dairy free diet, is that we live in extreme isolation, where there is only 2 small chain grocery stores. No soy, no special diet foods at all. I need to find what she actually likes and order it in, which is a HUGE PITA. Obviously I will do what I have to do, but finding what she likes is going to be hard. Today is 24 hours dairy free, and she hasn't complained of belly pain at all.
July 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know Enjoy Life is good for baking. Rice milk and Hemp milk are good too. Soy is something you can use but don't overuse it. If she is having milk protein intolerance rather than just lactose intolerance soy will likely irritate it if you start using it a lot. Milk and soy proteins are very similar in structure and people that can't tolerate one often can't tolerate the other. Try not to jump all over soy...that gets a lot of people in trouble. I would start with just soy milk and if the problems come back cut out soy milk and don't use soy based things. Coconut milk is also good. Purely Decadent is a good brand for treats.

Go Dairy Free - Food and Grocery

Maybe that site can help a little too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search