Mucous in stool

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
My youngest is six months old. She has has mucous in her stool since about 4 weeks old. Just recently switched from breastmilk to formula as the issues continued even when eliminating dairy and soy. Nutramigen makes her have upset tummy and diarrhea. Am currently trying alimentum rtf. My question is has anyone dealt with this and how long should it take to see no more mucous if this is going to work?

July 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
You should have noticable improvment within 2 weeks. It can take up to 2 months to fully heal as the mucous is from irritation in her GI tract and the new formulas heal that over time, but 2 weeks is the general guideline for noticable improvment. My DS Danny, now 4, had this problem and we didn't get his straightened out until he was 2.5 years old. He doesn't make digestive enzymes so everything he ate got basically chewed up and spit out in the separate parts...fats being the most noticable as mucous. Nutrimigram and Alimentum still have either milk or soy because they were a 100% no for us. If your LO cannot handle milk and soy I would push for a switch to neocate or elecare which are elemental formulas. If those don't work she may have a corn intolerance which is where it gets REALLY tricky. If that becomes a problem please PM me and I will get you the information I have to help with feeding a child with milk, soy, and corn protein intoleranes and allergies formula.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the docs lean toward testing for cystic fibrosis and celiac's disease. Those are pretty routine tests with mucousy poops that are resistent to a typical diet change. If the docs do suggest it I wanted you to be warned ahead of time. I wasn't so I got upset and over-worried. Hopefully it will be a little easier to process if you know before they suggest it that it might come up. :/

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 15th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Super Mommy
They have already tested for CF. And done an upper endoscopy and ph probe last week. Still waiting on results as her GI doctor went to a conference this week. He honestly hasnt been much help. Since she gains weight so well(she weighs 19 lbs) he just keeps saying she will outgrow it and that sometimes mucous is normal. He has suggested elecare. I was just trying alimentum because it is easier to get. It took 2 weeks before she really started to have problems with the nutramigen. Has only been on alimentum for a little over a week. Her poop still seems to have quite a bit of mucous, but has thickened up which I think has to do with the cereal I have to add to keep it from entering her airway while eating(had to use a gel to thicken breastmilk and nutramigen trial was before I knew I needed to thicken). At this point I am unsure as to weather I should keep trying or just go ahead with the elecare.

July 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Is there anyway that you could get in to see a pediatric allergist? Testing is not effective at this age but they would at least be more familiar with where it could be a GI issue and when it is likely an intolerance or allergy issue. We had to use gas drops religiously every time Danny ate for the first year pretty much. We finally have figured out what we think is all of his allergies though he has developed 4 new ones over the past 8 months. :/ Danny is off of eggs, milk, soy, tomatoes, carrots, red 40, cinnamon, tree nuts, and strawberries. Milk is a big thing with baby food but with carrots and milk we had to make baby food at home. Basically blend up a baby friendly meal and freeze portions in ice cube trays.

July 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Super Mommy
I will have to ask her pediatrician about that. She has an appointment next month. She doesn't see the GI doc for another 6 weeks. I don't think my insurance will pay without a referral. As for food, she doesn't eat any as of now. She just gags and spits it out. And I am hesitant to really push the food until I am sure about the formula. I want to make sure about what she is reacting to. I would just really like to know what is going on.

July 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
:/ Yep. I get that one 100%.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search