Frustrated!

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
Regular
I had called our allergist's office to see if they could draft a letter saying that Nate needs to be in a "nut free room" at school etc....so they called me back today and said "we can't tell a business how to run itself, we do not have that authority". Maybe it's just me but I think they could've said it a little different. I just wanted them to state and put in writing how severe his allergies are etc. They kept spewing support groups, activist groups etc at me so I "can learn how to handle it"...um I think I'm handling it just fine thank you anyways....So I go on to ask multiple questions and basically they couldn't answer them. I am just so frustrated with this office but I hate to switch because he will have to go thru more testing and I just don't want to put him through that. I asked since his reaction was so violent from 1 cashew shouldn't he be in a nut free environment or is it ok to be around them and just not eat them....they couldn't answer b/c "we have no literature to support that"...ugh....it's times like these that I just really miss living in a bigger city with better doctors and more choice...
July 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Ugh... I am so sorry. The allergy testing a new doc shouldn't need to redo. Just get copies of the results and that should be sufficient. I don't know what other testing you are talking about but that should be the same... I would switch to a new doc if possible. If he had a skin test then they should be able to tell you if he can be around it or not without a reaction. Danny can't be around treenuts...at least certain kinds of them...without a reaction.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 21st, 2011, 05:57 PM
Regular
Ok...how do they tell that from the skin test? He's had multiple skin tests and a few blood tests. The hive from the cashew was the biggest at a 6+ and all the other tree nuts were at least a 4+. Peanuts 3+ and sesame 2+.

I've called two other allergists around this area and even one in St. Louis but they insist on doing their own testing. This is not the first time I've been frustrated with this allergist....
July 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would try to find someone else who uses a pediatric allergist and ask them what they think about them. I have never heard of a scale using 6+...we have only done patch and prick testing for things that came back positive and anything 3+ and higher is considered ANA. Danny's treenuts were all 3+ with hazelnuts (filberts), walnuts, pecans, and almonds being 4+. It is a size based measurement. You can usually find online what the scale means based on the type of test it is. I found the RAST (blood test) scale and even it only uses 0-5. Maybe that is why they want to redo testing everywhere... If the allergist you went to uses a different scoring system then there is no way to effectively coorelate the reaction level. The RAST test is supposed to be able to determine the amount of allergen needed to trigger a reaction. I know this doesn't really answer any of your questions but maybe it will help somehow...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
We were told the RAST test only tells (or predicts) the longevity of the allergy. Such as if they will grow out of the allergy or not. My DD's peanut allergy RAST result was equal to or greater than 100 last test.

I agree. I would switch allergists as soon as I could! Even if that mean more tests, I know it hurts them but the hurt only last a little while because a reaction scares me! Thankfully DD's preschool is peanut free! But I know once she starts school, we have to fill out a form stating her allergies and what needs to be avoided, and the doctor has to send a letter to the school. Then her classmates aren't allowed to bring peanut products to school, or school parties and they have a special peanut free table at the school!

July 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Sorry you have to deal with that. In my case, it's me with the severe peanut allergy but I remember the headaches my parents had to go through when I was in school. It's no fun at all.

I have no good advice, just sympathy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search