I know it's a long post, but I need some HELP! MILK PROTEIN ALLERGY IN 5 MONTH OLD

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Last edited by HarperLeigh; August 13th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
August 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
My son has milk and soy protein intolerance. It can cause diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, eczema, congestion, and about a million other things. Nutramigram has milk protein in it. It is broken down so it is easier to digest but most children with a protein intolerance or allergy still can't handle it. I would ask about Neocate or Elecare. They are corn/amino acid based. If he can't poop a normal texture stool maybe it is time for a colonoscopy. There may be some sort of stricture or obstruction that makes it where he can't pass anything that is actually formed. It is okay for him to have loose stools at this age. As long as he is on formula or BM "diarrhea" style baby poop is the norm. Hold off on rice or any other "thickening stuff" as it will not only thicken his food but also his stool. I would start with making homemade baby food. It is really easy. You basically boil slices of squash or whatever and after it is tender you put it in the blender and can freeze it in ice cube trays. Either let it thaw or stick it in the microwave for eating time. If your GI didn't suggest anything to change when he said that he wasn't tolerating the formula I would suggest either having a serious heart to heart with the doc or finding a new one. If your LO isn't tolerating the formula and there are other options he should have at least mentioned them...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

August 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Thank you for replying! Yes, my doctor did mention the Neocate, but said to hold off on it for now. I was just so overwhelmed at the appointment (and my husband didn't go with us because I wasn't expecting to hear what I did) that I forgot to ask some of the questions that I need to ask. I have a list that I will be calling with tomorrow. He did recommend either organic or home made baby food, which I will try. As far as his pooping goes....before we started the Nutramigen, he had explosive greenish colored diarrhea. After the Nutramigen, he had very normal stools for a baby only taking formula. When I gave him the rice cereal is when they started to become formed (but soft). I stopped the cereal thinking it caused the constipation, but the stools have never returned to normal and he DOESN'T poop if I don't give him pear juice everyday. This was also something I mentioned to the doctor, but I honestly can't remember what he said. (It is on my list to ask him tomorrow) He has been having stools like this for a month now.
I got on this forum last night hoping to find some more information regarding milk protein allergies and also to get some support. No one that I know have children with these allergies, so it's hard for me to find anyone to talk to about this. I feel devastated right now. I never could have imagined that food allergies could be so terrible! I am also so anxious as to what to expect in the coming months. Sometimes it just feels so hopeless.
How old is your child? Does he still have problems with these allergies??? I noticed you said he has a milk/soy intolerance...this is different than an allergy, right? When I was researching, I read that an allergy causes diarrhea, but an intolerance can cause constipation. It seems that both are going to cause food allergies though, so I'm not sure why it makes a difference in vocabulary!

Last edited by HarperLeigh; August 7th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
August 7th, 2011, 05:24 PM
To DANNY'S MOM:

I have navigated my way through this forum today and have noticed that you have a lot of helpful suggestions for people. I read one of your posts that said you also noticed some problems with Danny at 3 weeks old. As stated above, that is when I first noted problems with my son, Luke. Like I said, it was gas, colic, reflux, diarrhea, and a diaper rash. All of these things went away with the start of the Nutramigen, except the reflux and colic. The colic is improving now, but the reflux seems to be getting worse. I also mentioned the start of constipation now. We are just at the beginning stages of figuring out this allergy thing, but I was just wondering what your feelings are regarding my son's symptoms. Do you think he is going to have major problems starting on solids? Should I worry about him having a more serious reaction? Will he grow out of this? Do you feel like I should give the Neocate a try? As mentioned above, I will be calling his GI doc tomorrow with these same questions (and more), but from as many posts as I have read today, I have learned more from your responses than his doctors. Thank you for taking the time to read my posts! I really do appreciate it!
August 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Super Mommy
Just FYI, I have read previcid solutabs contain milk. This could be why your child is still having some problems. I hope you get it figured out. I am still fighting the battle with GERD and MSPI in my youngest but things are improving finally.

August 7th, 2011, 06:57 PM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jumping in here.....

My daughter is undergoing testing for Milk allergies/intolerance's right now. She is almost 4, and has had problems her entire life with what now looks like a dairy allergy. As a baby during the first 6 months, she was exclusively breastfed, was always gassy, 'colicy', and always spit up HUGE amounts after feedings. Once we introduced solids at 6 months, she immediately became constipated. I made all my babyfood from scratch. No matter what I gave her or didn't she was constipated. She would have a bowel movement maybe once a week, if she was lucky twice. We tried multiple stool softeners to try to regulate her on the docs advice.She always had a bad tummy. Everytime she ate it seems she complained her tummy hurt. We just assumed she would outgrow the constipation like her brother did. In April of this year, she became so constipated she ended up in emerg to be disimpacted manually , she ended up on a daily stool softener, and couldn't poop without it. Fast forward to just recently. She had her tonsils and adnoids out 3 weeks ago, for another issue. Because of her limited diet, she was eating more ice cream, and drinking more milk. After consuming any dairy, I noticed she was having crippling belly pain, that put her in tears, and she became even more constipated, and her stool softener no longer worked. I took her to the doc again, and I discussed my suspicions with her. She agreed that the extra dairy could be the culprit, and we should eliminate ALL dairy from her diet, which meant we will have to label read everything. She also ordered an allergy panel bloodwork. 2 days after her dairy-free diet, and she began pooping on her OWN! No meds needed! For the first time in over 3 months, she had a non-medicated poop! This was HUGE deal for us. We went back to the doc and she is even more convinced we are dealing with an allergy. We have been ordered to remain on the diary free diet, pending the results of the bloodwork. But with these results, I doubt I will ever put her back on dairy again.
Everywhere I was reading stated the opposite of what you mentioned, Intolerance is more diarrhea and Allergy is more constipation. My daughter also has a lot of mouth ulcers, she is anemic, has excema and has poor weight gain. All which are symptoms of allergies. Since eliminating diary, 2 weeks ago, she is a completely different child.
August 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
We have used Prevacid solu tab and also the compounded version. I just switched back to the solutabs this month because insurance won't pay for the compound. I've not heard about the solutabs being made with milk and it could be coincidence, but his spitting up has been awful since starting the solutabs again. It's also always purple when he spits up. (It's purple with the compounded version too....when I say purple, I mean violet (not blood) and it's just specks of a light hue if using the compound version). I have mentioned this to both his pediatrician and GI doc and neither seemed concerned.
So, it sounds like we have a long road ahead of us.....I'm sure you all understand how I'm feeling right now, as you have children older than mine. Somedays I feel helpless and hopeless that things will never improve. It's just not fair! As a first time mom, this is so hard! I am finding myself to be resentful towards my friends with babies that have it "easy." How did you guys deal with this?
August 14th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperLeigh View Post
As a first time mom, this is so hard! I am finding myself to be resentful towards my friends with babies that have it "easy." How did you guys deal with this?
I use my faith to get me through the tough times.. My son's allergies started at 4 months old, since he was hospitalized for 5 days.. Lets just say my son is an allergic child.. He has Asthma, Allergies (food and environmental) and Hayfever. He's a classic case.. I just stay positive and think it can always be worse.. It will also be easier when they can communicate with us.. I'm looking forward to the day my son can tell me he is having difficulty breathing and he understands why he needs to take his inhaler and meds every day..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 14th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
August 14th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
My son has milk and soy protein intolerance. It can cause diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, eczema, congestion, and about a million other things. Nutramigram has milk protein in it. It is broken down so it is easier to digest but most children with a protein intolerance or allergy still can't handle it. I would ask about Neocate or Elecare.

I wish I would have had this information when my son was a infant.. We did Nutramagin for 4 months and it did nothing for his eczema, the doctors were at a loss. I bet it was the milk and soy protein in it. Thanks for this info..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 14th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
August 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I'm sorry I have missed this! IT has been a mess at my house for about a week... A protein intolerance is basically one of two things. Either the child can't break down the protein...or an immune cell other than IgE cells triggers a reaction to the food. An allergy is an IgE mediated reaction to a food or other substance. So basically the same thing can happen the trigger is just different. Constipation and diarrhea are equally likely on both sides. We used a patch test to determine the milk and soy protein intolerances. He has not reacted to any other allergy test for those two because they all test for IgE mediated reactions.

Yes, Danny is still 100% off of milk and soy in addition to all of his other allergens. We had one period where we trialed adding milk back in but it caused severe stomach pain.

There is really no way to predict what a child will do with solids based on formula/BM. I would be cautious and make his baby food at home because that way you would know exactly what is and is not in it. If you steam/boil a vegetable and stick it in the blender you can then freeze it in ice cube trays and tha as much as is needed for your son's babyfood. That is what we had to due as a result of the milk and carrots...the first two allergies we knew about.

I would deinitely suggest pushing for the neocate. If you have wic they will cover it temporarily but not long term. Insurance will frequently pay for it though as it is ordered through the pharmacy as a prescription. Try to get the flavored neocate approved but if you can't you can flavor it with koolaid powder...that is what we had to do...

Deanny's allergist...who we have come to trust VERY much..told me that 60% that will outgrow an allergy do so by age three and 90% outgrow them by age 9. Keep in mind though that these are the % of people that will outgrow it. In other words...if he will outgrow the allergy...he has a 60% chance of doing so by his 3rd birthday and a 90% chance of doing so by his 9th birthday. He still has a 10% chance of outgrowing it after that though. If he hasn't outgrown it by age 9 he likely won't but he still could...

I think I typed up a response to your post before you edited it and it said something about him not being able to poop even if it is soft unless it is soft enough not to be formed at all... I would mention that to the GI and see if that sounds normal for a baby or not. Danny had diarrhea until he was almost 2 so I am not familiar with if he should be able to poop even if it is formed. If he can't get soft, formed stools out I would push for a colonoscopy to make sure there aren't any strictures or blockages that are making it difficult for him to poop. From what I know...greenish diarrhea is typical formula fed baby poop. Yellowish brown diarrhea is typical BF baby poop. I don't know the volume, texture or frequency of his diapers so that may be different but I wanted to throw it out there...Are his stools mucousy at all?

Again, sorry for taking so long to reply...I though I already had but apparently forgot to submit it...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search