It looks as though we have to join the board.

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I myself grew up with severe allergies and some more mild ones. I couldn't eat milk, citrus or eggs until I was 15 and still can't have fish, all nuts or kiwi. I do still occasionally react to raw peas. When we had Orion I was determined to do everything I can to spare him growing up with severe allergies. I did all my research and set off on the best path I could find. Soon after he was born I had to cut raw milk out of my diet completely. We EBF until just over six months when we introduced some solids, one at a time. We didn't have any major reactions, a little rash to some non organic bananas. He did react mildly-medium to baby mum mums (I'm convinced there is milk in them that is not on the label, they are made in China In retrospect maybe there is undeclared egg in them instead of milk) He doesn't react to plain brown rice so he eats a lot of organic brown rice puffs and still gets almost all his nutrition from breast milk. He is 7 1/2 months old right now.

This past week we went camping for a at a lake about 20 km from the nearest town. That morning our truck started acting funny, DH had to take apart the wiring harness and had it almost put back together when he decided to stop for breakfast. Orion ate his rice puffs for breakfast and we had bacon and eggs with a teeny tiny bit of cheese ( I can eat a little cheese now and then) After breakfast DH took him for a walk so I could wash up. He came rushing back into camp about 1 min later with Orion, he was starting to get rashy. I dosed him with Apis and some histamine (homeopathic medication) and told DH to get the truck back together right now. The second he had it back together I told him we were going to the hospital NOW. By this point Orions face was entirely covered in hives and very red. Our cell phone wasn`t charged so we piled into the truck and put it to charge. I sat in the back and gave Orion more Apis. As soon as the cellphone was charged enough to turn on we called to have the ambulance to meet us on the way. At this point Orions eyes were swollen and he was wheezing a bit. the Apis and Histimine seemed to be helping. When DH was on the phone with 911 the truck died, he had to get out on the middle of the highway and re-secure the wiring harness. It took so long for the ambulance to meet us that we were in town before we saw it and pulled over. They didn`t even have baby doses of ephedrine. They had to look up the dose of benedryl for him and dosed him. By this point he wasn`t wheezing any more, but his face looked like a little tomato covered with white hives, the rash had spread across his entire body and he was so itchy. Dh had to wait outside the ambulance and was really worried, especially when they came out to get their bag they had left behind the truck. We rushed off to the hospital and he didn`t get worse along the way, He was admitted and examined. His tongue and throat were swollen and the rash was all over his torso. The benedryl started to help and the swelling started to go down. We were put into observation for an hour, so I gave him a diaper change and popped him in the ergo and he went to sleep. (I also sponge bathed him and changed his clothes, it seemed like common sense to me, but the hospital didn`t mention to do it)
The dr prescribed benedryl every 4 hours for 4 days (A HUGE dose for such a little guy, 6.25 mg for a 20lb baby)
DH says that just as they were leaving to go for their walk Orion swiped at something on the table, DH checked his hands and there was nothing there. The hives started around his mouth and spread out. so I am pretty sure that he somehow got a piece of egg and ate it. I don`t think it was the milk as just today he crawled out of his crib over to the night table and got a half open milk chocolate bar and chewed on it before I caught him, and no reaction to that) Anyone else dealing with a sever egg allergy or ideas of what else it could be

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
August 12th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
It could be bacon or eggs. If the eggs were cooked with/in something (butter, oil, etc) it could be that. Same with the bacon. If you have access to a form of allergy testing that you agree with (elias I think is how you spell one of them...it is homeopathic...sort of) I would do it. If they didn't give you a script for an epi I would get one. If that is his first reaction the second will likely be worse... I would call the restaurant and let them know what happened. I would then tell them that you need ingredients for everything that would have touched the eggs and bacon. Get brand names. If they say cooking oil, ask what brand and what type. Hopefully they will understand...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

August 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
It could be bacon or eggs. If the eggs were cooked with/in something (butter, oil, etc) it could be that. Same with the bacon. If you have access to a form of allergy testing that you agree with (elias I think is how you spell one of them...it is homeopathic...sort of) I would do it. If they didn't give you a script for an epi I would get one. If that is his first reaction the second will likely be worse... I would call the restaurant and let them know what happened. I would then tell them that you need ingredients for everything that would have touched the eggs and bacon. Get brand names. If they say cooking oil, ask what brand and what type. Hopefully they will understand...
Thanks for the suggestions. I had cooked breakfast myself so I am sure of everything that went into it. We have an appointment with a paediatrician that specializes in allergies for the 6th of September (It was the soonest they could get us in, our health care system it screwy sometimes)
The doctor told me that they can't prescribe epi pens under 32 lbs. I have completely eliminated eggs from our house and are being careful. We are now carrying benedryl with us at all times and are going to try to stay close to a hospital.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
August 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son has had an epi since January...He was 30 pounds at that point...maybe it is age/weight based because he is 4 years old. If you can find the dosage for the strips...1/4 strip etc...they seem to work the best/fastest for ingested triggers... I hope everything gets figured out soon! Can your regular doc order a blood test to check for egg? It is called a RAST test... It is 100% allopathic and I am not sure of your views on that but it could get you results sooner if the regular doc will order it...

August 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM
My doctor is actually on vacation right now, so I got squeezed in to see a different doc in the same practice. They are still working on getting me a sooner appointment. What are these strips that you are talking about?

August 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Regular
I use and LOVE Benadryl perfect measures...they come in their own little plastic "spoon"....one "spoon" contains 1 tsp of Benadryl and has markings for smaller doses....the only slight problem I have is sometimes they are a pain to get open.....
August 14th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my daughter is only 19lbs ...and her allergist prescribed epi-pen jr. She has 4 of them. We also carry benadryl wherever we go. I have a concern in regards to the epi-pen (I hope I never have to use it), but we spoke to the allergist and he insisted she needs it and the benefits of her having it outweigh the risks of using it (she has a peanut and an egg allergy). I still want to bring this up again with him. When I filled the prescription even the pharmacist said that it really shouldn't be given -- only given in direct consultation with a pediatric allergist.
August 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I looked up the strips to give you the link but they have been discontinued... Bad news for us...

August 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
So they moved his appointment to early tomorrow morning. Wish us luck!

August 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
GOOD LUCK!!!! I am hoping you get some 100% answers!

August 21st, 2011, 07:21 PM
So, we had an skin prick allergy test. According to that Orion is allergic to
Cat
Dustmite
Almond
Peanut
Sesame
Milk
Egg
Wheat
Soya
Hazelnut
Pecan
Kiwi
Sigh, we went for a Rast blood test and they will re test him with what turns up in that apparently. The eggs and peanuts were the most serious allergies that popped up.

August 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ick... At least some of them are lumped together though...
Cat
Dustmite
Peanuts/Tree Nuts
Sesame
Milk
Egg
Wheat
Soya
Kiwi

It isn't a lot different but when I looked at Danny's allergy test results and then they lumped them together it seemed a LOT more managable...

Did they test for coconut? If he can have coconut that will leave a lot of things open for him... It is technically but most people with tree nut allergies are 100% fine with coconut... Danny isn't one of those but there were so many more alternatives that were healthy before we had to cut it out...

August 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
Ick... At least some of them are lumped together though...
Cat
Dustmite
Peanuts/Tree Nuts
Sesame
Milk
Egg
Wheat
Soya
Kiwi

It isn't a lot different but when I looked at Danny's allergy test results and then they lumped them together it seemed a LOT more managable...

Did they test for coconut? If he can have coconut that will leave a lot of things open for him... It is technically but most people with tree nut allergies are 100% fine with coconut... Danny isn't one of those but there were so many more alternatives that were healthy before we had to cut it out...
Pretty sure he is ok with coconut, we use the oil on his skin and haven't had a reaction yet.

August 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
I'd be careful with the oil...since he is sensitive to allergies, he can flare up an allergy to that. Especially since he already has a nut allergy.

We tested DD at 10 months because she had a reaction to touching peanut butter at 8 months. She was given an epi pen at that time. I'm not sure how much she weighed but it wasn't 30 plus lbs. I feel safer knowing we have it than not having it. We don't go anywhere without benadryl and her epi pen.

She started out with allergies to eggs, wheat, fish/shellfish, peanut/tree nuts and cats. She can now have eggs when they are cooked in cakes and such but not just plain fried/scrambled eggs. She also no longer has a allergy to wheat or cats. The fish allergy is the only thing that has sent us to the ER. I agree to always keep Benadryl with you...if his first reaction was this bad, his next could be worse. (at least that's what we were told)

Also watch for cross contamination! That's a big thing and a way they can have reaction without actually eating/touching the allergen. We don't have any peanuts/tree nuts or fish in the house and don't eat or touch it around her.

Most likely they are having you give him the benadryl so often to avoid a relapse reaction. When we went to the ER with her fish allergy, she had hives all over, never had an trouble breathing but benadryl didn't help. They had to give her IV steroids and then we had to take oral steroids for several days later, to avoid a relapse.

It's rough at first getting used to the allergies and avoiding them all, but it does get easier. We've been dealing with it, living with it, for almost 4 years now. It's a daily struggle and lifestyle, but it does get easier.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search