New here

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Everyone
I'm a member of the July 2010 PR. My daughter is Sydney (who'll be 13 months next week). Up until now she has had 4 allergic reactions - all hives (head to toe), along with face and limb swelling. The first one sent us to the ER.

We just had our allergy testing today (skin prick test). Results came back egg white, egg yolk (both a 4) and peanuts (7). She has never had peanuts before -- wasn't even expecting that. The eggs I had kind of figured out.

I'm pretty scared about this whole thing. We have no allergies in our family - no experience dealing with a child with an allergy (especially to nuts). How do you adjust to the lifestyle change? How do you eat out at restaurants? Can you outgrow a peanut allergy? I'm really just looking for some support/advice on how to deal with this. We have epi pens now , plus I also carry benadryl wherever I go. What about cooking at home ...any advice on some good recipe sites? How do you find other people react to your child having allergies (she's in full time daycare ...have to bring all this info to them on Monday when she goes back).
August 12th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess this board isn't that active
August 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Sorry...I must have missed this somewhere!

My family is the same way. No one in our extended or immediate family has allergies aside from one person who is sensitive to walnuts and pecans... My son Danny has allergies to egg, milk, soy, tomato, carrot, red 40, cinnamon, tree nuts, strawberries, coconut, rice, and lamb. We had no idea what to do. Many of these were gradually discovered...the most recent 3 just being found this past week. Daycares are usually pretty good. I have to leave but I will leave a lot more later tonight.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

August 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Regular
The board is a little slow....not sure what happened to JennMarie (the host) either....she hasn't posted in forever....

My son has multiple nut allergies (all tree nuts and peanuts) along with sesame, cats and pretty much everything outside! My husband's brother has a very mild peanut allergy but still eats them. That is the only person in both sides of the family that has a food allergy. My dh and I both seasonal allergies and mine are progressively getting worse all the time. My son's current and soon to be ex allergist has said that parents with seasonal allergies can somehow mutate and be the cause of food allergy in their kids...but I don't know how much faith I put in her statements.....

anyways welcome to the board....
August 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. It's a little overwhelming when you first find out about the allergy. I've talked to the ladies in my PR, but I'm hoping to connect with some of you here with some questions.

My husband does have seasonal allergies and he also has cold-induce urticaria - I've been joking with him that she's definitely taking after him in the allergy side!

to be honest it's the peanut allergy that really scares me. I know it's more common now, but I don't want her to be the kid no one wants to play with b/c they are scared (this goes to the parent's too). how do you find other parents react to your kids allergies?
August 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Regular
I know exactly how you feel. It's hard every day but it does get easier to cope with and manage. Preschool/school is the hardest thing ever...it's so hard putting someone else in control with these life threatening allergies (well it is for me anyway).

I've found that most parents listen and take it into consideration...we just had a playdate and my friend just puts everything away so he can't get into it. One of his friends mom said she cleaned and wiped down everything b/c they eat peanuts and pb and nuts so she said she cleaned everything really good before we came over. However, she also did not invite us over to her son's birthday get together b/c of my son's allergies..and she didn't want him to get sick from something...which made me more sad than mad. But I know exactly how you feel....I think kids are better at handling it sometimes more than adults are....
August 15th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally-Mac View Post
My husband does have seasonal allergies and he also has cold-induce urticaria - I've been joking with him that she's definitely taking after him in the allergy side!

?
I have this too! It's not very often that you hear of people with cold-induced urticaria. I also have exercise-induced urticaria.

It's a bit overwhelming at first when a child is diagnosed with food allergies. My oldest DS was diagnosed with milk allergies at a very young age and since he always had that it wasn't hard to adjust his diet, we just never gave him anything with milk. But recently he was diagnosed with other food allergies and that has been a struggle to get accustomed too. We just take it one meal at a time.

*Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*
August 16th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Sorry about that...it took me forever to get back on here!!! Like the other girls said...take it one step at a time. The first time I went to the grocery store with each of the first 5 allergies...egg, milk, soy, tomato and carrot (all found separately except the tomato and egg) I spent 3-4 hours in the grocery store. After those his choices were limited to "this brand of that food", etc that it only took about an hour...about the same as a normal shopping trip. After we got the "go to" foods down shopping was a lot easier. Natures Own whole wheat bread is a good one for these allergies. Walmart brand chicken nuggets are also fine for us...you will have to double check peanuts for both though because we don't have that one... For parties, sleepovers, etc...I pack Danny's food. We have cupcakes that I make a batch and freeze them. I also have a recipe for a cupcake in a cup that you make in the microwave in a coffee mug. Those have really helped us in the party/visit sector. In Danny's preschool there were 3 last year and this year aout of 23 kids that had ANA pn/tn allergies. The whole school (one room in the teaching section of the college I go to) is PN/TN free. That is a huge help for her. Real school is going to terrify me though... I have to send all of Danny's snacks, treats, meals, drinks, etc with him everyday because they can't accomodate his allergies for everything else but they keep him safe. Maybe letting other mom's know that you will pack him his own cupcake, treat, meal, etc so that she wouldn't have to worry about it would help?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

August 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't post here a lot, but I agree, try to take things one meal at a time. Once you get a list of go-to foods it should get easier.

We aren't completely allergic, but very intolerant of wheat, dairy, sugar, dyes, corn, peaches and soy. We have found that it's just easiest to eliminate some of them completely and for others we just have alternatives in the house. No one eats wheat at home anymore, because majority (or Mommy's aching tummy) rules on that one - we have 3 of 5 people who can't eat it. Sugar (refined sugar that is) and dyes we have also just universally eliminated. It's healthier for everyone and easier for DS who turns into a whirling dervish after eating them. The others are person by person, and we just have substitutes available, and for things that I make for the whole family I am sure not to include those things.

There are some really great websites out there for people dealing with food allergies. Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom is a great one - she started with just gluten free, but has branched out and a lot of her recent posts/recipes are no egg and nut free.

I do a TON of preparing at home, lots and lots of homemade foods. The kids who need lunches out take them to school/friends houses/grandma's house, etc. It's just easier for me to send them food than it is for me to explain the laundry list of what they can and can not have and then sit and listen to someone tell me that XYZ brand is ok, when I know that it really isn't.

The beginning is totally the hard part. It does get easier from there.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
August 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hi there.. I'm sorry your going through all of this.. I honestly don't have any good advice except hang in there, it will get better..

My son is an allergic child and was diagnosed at 9 months old. I do have a question for you though.. Did they give you any instructions on the epi-pen? They haven't issued one to us because my son is so small, he's maybe 22 lbs.. I'm going to bring it up at his 2 year check up.. But from my research epi-pen Jr. is for 33lbs or higher..

Edit to add: My son goes to daycare and we just let them know he needs to be on a soy, peant and egg free diet.. I do let them know what he can eat that may contain soy or egg, like bread..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 23rd, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search