Dairy allergy Question and an introduction.....

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2011, 08:24 AM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have made a couple posts on this board already, but haven't properly introduced myself. I'm Jacie, mom to 4 y/o DD, and 8 y/o DS. We live in Canada. I am found most often on the Sept 07 PR board.

My daughter has a rare fever disorder known as PFAPA. She underwent a T&A in July in hopes to cure her condition. So far so good, she has remained fever free! During her recovery from her T&A, she was consuming more then normal amounts of dairy, such as ice-creams, milk, cheese and yogurt. She had horrible stomach pains, and severe constipation. She has always been chronically constipated, needing medication to produce stools. I took her back to the doc, and expressed my concerns, and she agreed that a strict diary free diet trial would be a good idea. 3 days into the diet, she began pooping on her own! A week later we followed up with the same doctor, and she agreed that it looks like we are dealing with an allergy or intolerance. So we were ordered to stay on the dairy free diet until we get the results of her bloodwork panel. The bloodwork took longer then expected to get back, and with such drastic improvement to her bowel movements and overall health, we agreed to keep her on the diet, no matter what the results showed. The bloodwork came back negative. We are now scheduled for an allergy skin test.

While on vacation, we stuck to her dairy free diet, and it was incredibly hard. The day we were travelling home, we gave her some fried dough, that was store bought. It was in the back of my mind that it probably contained dairy of some sort. She had been dairy free for over a month at this point. I let her have it, just to see what would happen and how she would react. Several hours after eating it, she violently projectile vomited!!! That was the only thing she ate that day, that I questioned the ingredients, so I'm almost 100% sure it was the cause. After vomiting she was fine.

So my question is, being dairy free for over a month, would it make her body more sensitive to even the slightest amounts of dairy?

Now we see the benefits of being dairy free has on our daughter, we can look back and see all the things that look like allergy symptoms that we were so blinded to, even the doctors for that matter. Shes been anemic, chronically constipated, fatigued, and abdominal pain, she also didn't have a lot of energy, poor weight gain and growth and dark circles under her eyes. She also had a horrible time with all her infant needles. She fevered for days, and screeched inconsolably. Because she has PFAPA, we thought this was all related to that. But now, I'm not so sure, since ALL these symptoms have improved DRASTICALLY since being dairy free, especially her constipation issues.

If you made it through this, you are a champion! I didn't mean for this to be long at all...lol.....Thanks for any advice!
September 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would push for a patch test rather than a skin prick test. Skin prick testing will most likely yield the same results as the RAST test. Skin patch testing checks for allergies or intolerances which are not mediated by IgE immune cells. Danny's milk and soy protein intolerances are this way.

Every child is different but if she was experiencing digestive issues before it could have reached a new level in the same system...if that makes any sense... Danny's caused diarrhea, malabsorbtion, gas, stomach pain, mucousy stools, etc. All digestive issues. It could have been that her stomach wasn't reacting before and it was reacting more down the line but the over stimulation with the increase in the trigger and then suddenly stopping all dairy could have led to the reaction being more immediate. It may be a condition called MPIES (Milk Protein Induced Entercolitis Syndrome). Basically a stomach bug type reaction induced by milk protein...not an allergy and won't show up on a skin prick test... I would really push for the patch test... It doesn't hurt at all. They have a cap of sorts...Danny's were aluminum...and they put some of the food or powdered food into the cap and tape it to the child's skin. 48 hours later the child goes back to the doc and they check the reaction 15 minutes after the cap comes off. Prick testing is somewhat painful but if they are only doing milk she will only have three pricks. Positive control, negative control, and milk. Bring something to distract her for after the pricks and before they read it...15 minutes... and she should do fine...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search