Exposure question

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DD goes to daycare 5 days a week, where snacks and lunch are provided. They are completely on-board and we work together to provide dairy-free foods for her. I provide most snacks, usually muffins or banana bread or some sort, and I also provide some breakfasts and lunches. It seems to really be working well, and we haven't had any problems.......until 3 days ago.

3 days ago, DD was given pepperoni and salami during afternoon snack, along with crackers. The other kids had cheese as well. I know she didn't have cheese tho. But she did have the meats. That night, she was bloated more then usual, belly ache, constipated and couldn't eat supper. I was terrified she would vomit (she violently vomited with the last exposure), but she didn't. Yesterday when she came home her little hands were covered in excema like rash. She has had excema since she was born. Her skin has been pretty clear since going dairy free in July, a few bouts of dry skin, but never inflamed, and sore like this was. They were all cracked, and bleeding, well up past her wrists. I put some Aveeno Excema care cream on her, and it done nothing. So I resorted back to her cortisone cream, which is definitely helping.

Do you think that the dairy exposure in the deli meats 2 days prior caused this sudden flare up of excema? We are very new to food allergies and are still learning how food allergies present themselves. Can every reaction to dairy cause the same reaction? Or can it be a completely different reaction every time? (IE; first dairy exposure caused violent vomiting, and now the excema flare up)

Thanks for your help!
September 27th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
It seems like it would be a different thing. Allergic usually stay in the same family...such as diarrhea, vomitting, bloating etc are all digestive. hives, inflamation, swelling are another. Eczema is pretty much on its own but is sometimes combined with congestion. I hope that makes sense. It is not likely at all...but not impossible...for her reaction to have been to milk if she has always reacted that way before. If it has always caused eczema and digestive issues than it isn't 100% out but a skin reaction normally isn't that delayed... I would look at playdough, paint, anything else she could have played with. There are other things that aren't food that contain milk so watch for those things as well.

I hope you can figure it out!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

September 28th, 2011, 06:27 AM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to pull everything together for her, since she is only now being diagnosed, but looking back she's had MANY MANY symptoms we were ignoring over the years. She had uncontrollable eczema as a newborn, and right up through. Since being dairy free she been eczema free. As a baby she also projectile vomited after every single feeding, she was 100% breastfed, but I was consuming dairy. Shes always had stomach issues, severe pain, chronic constipation, bouts of diarrhea. All these issues also resolved after being dairy free. I think that these were all indicators to a dairy allergy very early on, and only now being discovered. Shes had other signs and indicators as well, but it would take all day to lay them out.
September 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Super Mommy
My son's eczema doesn't show up immediately after ingesting dairy or soy. His happens after multiple exposures, but the digestive issues happen pretty quickly. Good luck! I hope you can get it all figured out quickly.

*Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search