Eczema from milk, blood test negative for allergy

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2011, 07:01 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Does anyone know anything about this? Natalie developed eczema a few weeks after starting on whole milk. We took her off of milk Sept 6. Eczema disappeared within a few days. I had her tested for milk allergies because she had to get a lead test anyway. I just got the results back as negative Thursday. Talked to the nurse who said the eczema was probably caused from something like a detergent or something else. I started her back on milk yesterday. Her eczema returned this morning. I don't believe in coincidence. I am just not sure how strict I need to be with keeping her off of dairy. Do I need to eliminate everything or can I just eliminate milk? I am not sure if this is considered an allergy or just a sensitivity. I suppose I should make a new appt with her doctor.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Regular
It's weird...we're dealing with essentially the same thing right now. Nathan has always drank cow's milk. He's always had eczema like since infancy. Our new allergist seems to think the itching and eczema is caused by milk/dairy. His favorite foods and all he wanted to eat was milk products. I mean he literally wanted nothing but milk, cheese, ice cream and cereal with milk. The allergist told us that when you're allergic to something you'll either create an aversion to it or crave it and want nothing else. He's never tested positive for milk/dairy...so I'm kind of having a hard time believing it....We switched to goat's milk which is easier to digest and he doesn't itch as much and right now I'm trying organic milk b/c sometimes I think it's the additives and hormones in the milk and not the milk itself...i don't know....
October 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
First off, any allergy test done before age 4 is prone to false -/+ so keep that in mind. The second is that if she has a non-IgE mediated allergy (the most common food allergies are reactions instigated by immune molecules called IgE molecules) a typical RAST or skin prick test will always show negative for non-IgE allergies, food intolerances, or food sensitivities. The elimination diet is the only way to check 100% for a food tolerance problem. If she did better with no milk/dairy than do no milk/dairy and say it gives her eczema. It doesn't have to be listed as a food allergy so long as you and her doctor know her body doesn't tolerate it. With the amount question...that is a process. Give her 2 weeks with no dairy at all. Then add in hard cheeses starting in small quantities (cheddar). If she doesn't tolerate that than she likely needs to avoid dairy 100% to stay eczema free. If she tolerates that move up to soft cheeses (mozzerella), then cottage cheese, then yogurt, then ice cream, then milk until you get a reaction. Keep a log of how much of each she gets in a day so that you can figure out a quatity target as well. If it takes her 3 days after exposure to get eczema keep the amount the same for that period of time so you know that x amount of y type of dairy causes eczema... I hope that makes sense. It is not a coincidence...just to put your mind at ease. Many many children will never test positive against a food that they know to cause problems. They just have to avoid it anyway... A food allergist knows that elimination with results is not coincidence too...

ETA: You can also try lactose free milk products to see if it is a lactose issue rather than a milk protein issue.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search