Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone,

I'm not new to JM but new to this board. My son Cameron is 17 months old and has had food allergies since he was about 6 months or so. I thought that I would say hi. I look forward to getting to know you all.
I'm taking Cameron to the doctor soon to see if they can do some sort of allergy test on him. He is allergic to peaches, and fruits with seeds in them. Well, we aren't entirely sure on that one yet. We were told not to give him fruits with seeds, nuts, and peanut butter until he was at least 3. He has eczema (he inherited from me) and he is higher prone to food allergies. Has anyone had an allergy test done? I know that there is research out there that says that they aren't reliable but I hate seeing him have reactions to food. Thanks in advance!

**Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!**
November 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Having done testing with our older child, we discovered trial and error is the only truly reliable method of KNOWING what she can't have. I have one child who can't have soy, red colour, or artificial vanilla flavouring, plus we don't do nuts/peanuts (and probably will never do peanuts, because DH is allergic to them, so we're peanut free anyway, lol). The other child (Elias) reacts to peanuts through my milk, and to butternut squash, of all things. We're not bothering with testing for him unless we end up at the hospital with an anaphylatic reaction... and only then if the dr. won't prescribe an epi-pen without "proof". We have a great doctor though, so I imagine that if we showed up at the hospital with a child having a reaction he would make sure we had the prescription we needed, with or without testing.
November 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah. Cam is allergic to squash as well. Hmm...I guess we just try different things out on him. I'm scared to give him fish but we are going to try it out.

**Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!**
November 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We have done testing several times. Danny's allergies mostly have internal reactions. Three of the last 4 allergies we determined were contributing to GI irritation and at least one of them was causing ulcers. If you are okay with the risks of exposure testing than go for it. Keep a food journal though because it can take hours or days for symptoms to show up depending on the type of reaction the child has. Testing has always been the best for us and many people we know but with a child under 3 it is only feasible to test for things they you are pretty sure they are at least sensitive to. Broad testing hasn't even yet been done on Danny and he has so many allergies just to food that it is rediculous.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Noelle also has allergies but up until recently it's mostly shown as congestion - she can't have wheat, dairy, soy or peanuts without getting a runny nose. She has just begun to develop eczema in the last few weeks so I am beginning to think that there are more foods we are going to have to add to the list since we haven't changed anything else with the laundry detergents, soaps, shampoos since she was teeny.

We did an intolerance test on her to find out about the wheat/soy/dairy when she was about 8 months old. It was a tiny blood draw (like 3 drops total) at the naturopath's office. It didn't tell us about things that could present an anaphylactic (?sp) reaction, but just those things that were causing other kinds of less noticeable reactions (runny nose in our case).

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search