New here. Son with milk allergy

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2011, 08:48 AM
jwalk's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jwalk
We inadvertantly found out that my son (9 months old) is allergic to milk. My 2 year old was eating cereal and milk, and my mom gave Jeffrey one of the cherrios that had been soaking in her bowl. We thought, at first, it may have been the cereal, but a few days later we gave him a spoonful of milk and he broke out into hives again.

A few weeks later we tried a little frozen yogurt, and he did start to get a few hives on his chest, but they went away on their own after a few minutes.

Anyone else have any experience with milk/dairy allergy? It's def. an allergy, not an intolerance. Do kids usually outgrow this type of allergy? Anyone's child have this same reaction to cold milk but not to milk in foods (Like baked goods, etc?)

Btw! I'm Jenica, mom to Gianna (2.5 years) and Jeffrey (9 months)
November 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 14 month old DD is allergic to dairy. We also found out when she was 9 months. What I found with her was that she was having reactions to dairy all along, I just didn't realize it. They weren't severe like the hives she had when she drank milk, but she always seemed to be breaking out. I assumed it was "heat rash" (she started eating more foods at the same time the weather started warming up). She also had always just been a really gassy baby with kinda stinky poop even though she was breastfed. I just that that was how she was. Now that I look back I feel kinda stupid for not figuring it out sooner! She never did spit up or vomit from it. She never was fussy.

We did finally have the food allergy blood test done at her 1 year checkup and thankfully dairy was her only allergy and she was only mildly allergic. I think she was a 2 on a scale of 1 to 7.

There is dairy in lots of things, but thankfully, it really isn't that hard to work around. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn how to read labels and what to look for, it's not so bad. There's usually a brand that's dairy free, you just have to know which one to buy. It's also really easy to substitute soy milk or soy butter for cooking. Our whole family is somewhat dairy free now. My boys do drink cow's milk and I do buy cheese for them. But all the meals I fix are (mostly) dairy free. Sometimes we do things like tacos or pizza and Leah just gets hers without cheese. I haven't gotten brave enough to try soy cheese yet!

Good news is, most kids do outgrow dairy allergies by age 5 or 6 with the severity dropping as they get older.

PM me if you have any questions! Good thing about finding out when they're so little is you can kinda work into it since they're not eating as much food as they do when they're older.

November 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks so much for your response! I'm still breastfeeding Jeffrey, so there's not a real need for cups of milk yet. I've given him vanilla wafers before (which have whey in them) and he hasnt had a problem, and like I mentioned, he's tolerated a little cheese and yogurt without too much trouble, so his allergy can't be that strong. I'll probably make an appointment with the allergist at around a year to check things out as well. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to send you a message if I have any questions!
November 7th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
With milk allergies it is kinda tricky. It sounds more like a milk protein intolerance (which does the same thing as an allergy and is just as problematic, it is just a different part of the immune system that initiates the reaction.) Children with milk protein intolerances can usually handle milk cooked in something and often can even tolerate cheeses and sometimes yogurt. The softer the milk product the more trouble they have. It is quite easy to work around milk though either way. If it is a protein intolerance then the test he would need is a skin patch test. It is completley painless. They tape an aluminum cap with some dry milk powder in it to his back and leave it for 48 hours. Basically other than not having a bath you can't tell a difference. Then they go in, take the cap off, and look at it 15 minutes later. The blood test and skin prick test will only show up positive if it is an IgE mediated allergy. So if you get one of those done first and it is negative you can either ask for the patch test or just keep it of his diet without testing. Once every 6 months-a year you can add it back in for a few days starting with softer cheese or cottage cheese and then yogurt then ice cream then milk and stop when he gets symptoms.

I hope something in there helped!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks! THat info is very helpful!!!!! Jen, I was wondering, did yall have the blood test done or the patch test. The kids have an appointment tomorrow with the pedi for flu shots, so I'm going to mention this all to her and see when she thinks we should go to the allergist.
November 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did the blood test. We actually attempted it at 9 months but the nurses stuck Leah twice and couldn't get blood and we didn't want to keep "digging". We ended up needing to go to the hospital lab to get it done because the nurses at our ped's clinic were unsuccessful at her 1 year checkup as well.

November 14th, 2011, 06:50 AM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is also undergoing testing for dairy allergy. Like Jen, the symptoms were there all along, but I didn't put it together until this past summer. All her symptoms have drastically improved since being dairy free. I am too paranoid to even challenge her with dairy. Once you get the hang of it, it really isn't that hard. I used this site Go Dairy Free | Your Information Resource for Dairy Free Living and it helped a ton!
November 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Kristin
It's hard with a dairy allergy because there are so many types. They do say most kids grow out of theirs, although I never out grew mine (I'm 29 years old - maybe when I'm 30?). This one didn't seem to run in my family because I'm the only one - yay. I can tell you there are for sure far more resources and food options now than when I first had to cut dairy out. Good luck with you DS, I hope he out grows it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search