We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
a few days ago Jeffrey randomly broke out in hives.... he had been sitting in his high chair with puffs so I wasnt sure what had happened. Well then I remembered Gianna had been eating peanut butter off of a spoon and may have touched one of his toys on his chair. the hives went away on their own without benadryl. today I decided to give him a very small amount on a puff... and yep, hives again.... not super bad, and again, they went away on their own. ugh
I've read a lot about kids being able to outgrow a mild peanut allergy by the time they are 5 if they dont have any exposure. I guess we'll just get him tested and then test again every year. Like I said, if it hadnt been for the inadvertant exposure, he wouldnt have gotten peanut until at least 1.5 yrs or 2. We have no family history of peanut allergy.
I think it is along these lines. 30% that will outgrow it outgrow it by three. 60% by age 5 and 90% by age 9. 10% that will outgrow an allergy will outgrow it after age 9 though. I don't really know the precentage of kids that do vs don't outgrow them though...
Hi Ladies. I am a lurker to this site. I wanted to reply because your post sounded so similar to my own personal experiences (with my children, who are quite a bit older than yours).
My son (my youngest, who is 7) had three anaphylactic reactions to peanuts before he was 18 months old. The first two reactions (which I know now were anaphylactic) were "just hives". The first involved a high chair incident exactly like you described (with my older child).... Our (former) pediatrician blew it off because it was "just hives". I now know that this jeopardized my son's life in a major way. The third reaction was full blown. All major body systems were involved except cardiovascular, and honestly, heart may have been involved too, but he wasn't at the hospital to know this. And, I wasn't prepared to deal with the reaction (no epi-pen, just benadryl). It was terrifying! I took actions into my own hands at that point and took him to an allergist. He was diagnosed with a severe (class 6) allergy to peanuts. I learned the hard way that you can't deem how serious a peanut allergy is by the reaction.... I don't tell you this to scare you, but only so you can look into it before you go through what we did. He hasn't (knock on wood) had a reaction since he was 18 months old, but keeping him safe (especially now he is in school) has been an effort, to say the least. And, as far as outgrowing it, it depends upon how severe the child's allergy is (determined through blood test, not by reaction). For those that have low IGE for peanuts and that are under a certain age, there is a good chance to outgrow. For me, I hold hope in the research that is underway at Duke (where they are successfully treating this allergy). Our allergists hope that the treatment will be FDA approved in under five years. As far as other allergies, when he was 12 months old, my son also tested as allergic to milk, wheat and egg.... He grew out of all of these allergies (these were mild and he tolerated with only mild eczema). Now, he only tests allergic to peanuts.
My daughter, who just turned nine, was diagnosed with a milk allergy when she was six weeks old. She was bleeding internally, and her reaction was only from the milk I was consuming as I was exclusively breastfeeding. After a long 12 months of nursing and me avoiding all traces of milk, she outgrew this allergy. As of her allergy tests last year, she has no major allergies (some slight environmental allergies). Thank god.
When I found out about my son's peanut allergy, I was literally consumed by it. I didn't know what to do, so I read. And then I read and read and read. There is so much information out there. I can honestly tell you that it no longer consumes me. I understand and I know how to keep him safe. And so does he, and so does everyone else that is around him. I can't count the number of people that have said "oh, no, nuts/peanuts are in EVERYTHING!". You know what? They are not! We have taught (or attempted to teach) our son to not fear his allergy, but rather to be aware so he can keep himself safe. He repeated this exact thing to someone else a few weeks ago. He also told them that his allergy is part of him and he wouldn't change it. I literally cried. Allergies suck, but unfortunately for many of us, they are a reality. And, there are so many worse things out there, right?
I have a similar story as above except this is all new to me and my son is 16 months old.
My son tried a half peanut butter jelly sandwich at 13 months for dinner. I just assumed he would be fine since there are no food allergies on either side of the family and its a huge family (he is the 24th grandchild lol!). Since it was close to his bath and bedtime when he started fussing towards the end of the sandwich we put him in the tub for bath. Next thing I knew my husband was calling me saying he was swollen under his eyes and had some bumps in various places, he was also crying in the tub which never happens. We took him out dried him off and it was gone within 15 mins. His pediatrician had him get blood work and it came back negative (as low as it could be she said) and suggested trying again in a month or two. We tried again a week ago Saturday. He only ate two bites of the PB sandwich and promptly threw it on the floor and spit the bite out. We watched and he was fine for 15 mins. We went out and he got a bad blotchy rash all around his mouth/chin. It went away within the hour. Ironically about 4 hours later his eye got red and swollen I called the pedi (sat afternoon now) and said he may have pink eye since a few kids in daycare had it that week...I also asked if it could be a peanut issue and she said no it was long enough. By the time I got the eye medicine at the pharmacy his eye was perfectly fine! Went to the allergist on Wednesday and they did the prick testing and confirmed he does have a peanut allergy. We also got bloodwork to use as a baseline, will go back in a year and a half for more blodo to see if it changes. He wanted to also check the counts in the blood as the Childrens Hospital labs he said are much more sensitive than a lab his doctors office may use. We now have 2 epi pens at his daycare and I need to carry 2 as well. Sorry this got so long!