Alternatives to milk and soy

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By momma2princesses

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2011, 09:03 AM
icarryyourheart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy last spring, after two anaphylactic reactions.

He is 18 months old now. He can't tolerate any milk or milk product, though there are some baked goods he's ok with. We've also recently discovered that beef upsets his stomach. And, that he has a soy intolerance. So... now we are looking for other alternatives to soy milk/yogurt/ice cream.

I've started using coconut milk, but I worry a lot about nutrition and him getting all the things he needs.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

November 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Coconut milk is actually one of the better ones. Other than that you can use nutbased milks, oat milk, rice milk (not as nutritious) or hemp milk. The three that have been suggested to us before finding various allergies were oat, hemp, and coconut milk. If they don't have calcium, etc in them you can use tums and vitamin D supplements to replace the calcium and vitamin D. Coconut milk is GREAT for making ice cream. We had just started using it before we found Danny's coconut allergy. If you don't have an ice cream maker I highyl suggest getting one. It is SOOO much more cost effective, allergy free guarantee, and much more tasty and customizable than store coconut ice creams.

Turtle Mountain - Dairy Free Desserts. Makers of So Delicious and Purely Decadent dairy free ice cream

This company is great though if you don't want to home make ice cream. If you do want to just google "... milk homemade ice cream recipes" or something like that and you will get several results.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Kristin
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
Coconut milk is actually one of the better ones.

Turtle Mountain - Dairy Free Desserts. Makers of So Delicious and Purely Decadent dairy free ice cream

This company is great though if you don't want to home make ice cream. If you do want to just google "... milk homemade ice cream recipes" or something like that and you will get several results.
I totally second this - I have a dairy allergy. My allergy effects my asthma, frustrating though because most people actually grow out of this but it doesn't seem I'm going to grow out of it.

I LOVE Turtle Mountain, they make great ice cream if you're not going to make your own. Their yogurt is super yummy too.

For everything else I drink rice milk with cereal and for baking - it bakes the same. If you're looking to make yummy mashed potatoes without cream - I use progresso's chicken broth instead of cream (be super careful, if you're not paying close attention when you're adding it can get runny pretty quickly).

My Mom and my DH think I need to write a cookbook on making ice cream - our favorite one is Peanut Butter Chocolate.

1 Can of coconut milk (the thai kind, full fat - chilled in the fridge
2 tbsps of sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
3-4 tbsps of peanut putter

I mix everything in the blender so it's super smooth. Pour it into frozen ice cream maker bowl and turn on. Process for 25 minutes or until set. Serve or store in the freezer.
February 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We love coconut milk! The vanilla flavor has 80 calories per cup. Its not enough calorie wise, but I make the girls a smoothie every morning with 1/2 cup of sunbutter in it!
I use a couple bananas, cup of blueberries, cup of strawberries, coconut milk, and some sunbutter

You can do this! Starting out is so hard, but it will be easy peasy in awhile! Good luck!
Adriana's Mommy likes this.
Suzannah (2.5)

June 14th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I would say Coconut milk too! They also make it in Yogurt too!

We use Rice milk for cooking..

We also do a calcium supplement.. We smash it up and put it in his food.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search