New here - nut allergy

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
We just found out unfortunately the hard way last Tuesday that our just turned 2 year old DS is highly allergic to Tree nuts, We were told to not give him any nuts/nut products at all to be safe until we have more testing. This is all very overwhelming for us and we have talked to a couple of doctors now since then and they have gone over the basics of it but i still feel so freaked out on what to do. The doctor told us most products that contain nuts will say on the package if there are nuts in the food etc or made around nut products but he told me to watch out for stuff hidden in labels. I have no idea what all i am looking for and i was wondering if anyone here has some advice for us maby? I have been reading up as much as i can online but like i said this is very overwhelming..I am so scared about this and have zero experience with any type of nut allergy. I am allergic to some things as well but nothing like this and all its ever done is give me hives. Tuesday was the first time ive ever seen anything so scary like that happen and I do not ever want to go through that again. Thanks for any advice!
November 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
There are several mommies on here with LO's with PN/TN allergies. Danny only has the TN side and since he has had peanuts often with no problem they said not to worry about even testing for it. Basically, if you buy food in the US it has to say if it contains nuts or nut derived ingredients or if it was processed on shared equipment. It does NOT have to say it was processed in the facility if they can prove it has less than x amount of proteins in it. Until you get into a routine it seems like a nightmare. :/ Start out by looking for dedicated facilities or shop in the "allergy free section" if your store has one. Don't get Deli items, stay away from prepackaged cookies and cookie doughs. Obviously make sure that at thanksgiving no one has pecan pies or nuts in their foods. If you have an epi, keep it with you all the time and keep benadryl with you all the time. If you don't have those, get them ASAP. Your ped can order it for you through the pharmacy but make sure they order a twinject. It has two pins in it and a tester that you can teach people how to use it with. Ice creams are gernerally not okay from what I hear but Danny has 12 other food allergies that rule all that out anyway so I am no help there. Coconut is a tree nut but most PN/TN children are okay with it...some however are not. Danny and his friend that is PN/TN can't have coconut either. For now I would avoid that too...only in foods though. Not soaps and such.

Long List of Nut free products and manufacturers

I don't know how effective this one will be but there are many sites like it that give lists of foods, candy, cakes, mixes etc. Anything that says "top 8 free" is safe. ENjoy life brand has cake mixes and chocolate chips that are safe...chocolate has been the hardest for Danny. Sometimes grocery stores have lists of allergy free foods that you can download or ask for. It does get easier but it takes time.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search