Milk Allergy or Intolerance?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
It's taken far too long to pin down the cause of Ashlynn's puking..
It started around when she turned 1... She'd throw up macaroni and cheese (main one I remember.. It's nasty thrown up..) and other odd foods every few days for a week, then stop for a month or more.
I figured it was carsickness and a stomach bug because it really wasn't super often.
But the past couple months has me thinking otherwise.
If she has scrambled eggs (we use milk in it, and sometimes cheese) she will throw them up. Every single time.
If I make macaroni and cheese, she will have very gross poops the next day...ALL day. One day we had 7. SEVEN. Gross poops.
I wanted to cry that day and it hit me that she had mac n cheese the day before.
Well last night I was a genius. I gave her macaroni and cheese, but I had bought whole milk instead of the normal 2%
I used a VERY small amount of milk. A dash, just enough to mix the cheese.

Then she went to bed fine, and woke up at 3am vomiting.
Every 20 minutes for nearly 2 hours, she was gagging, burping, making odd noises..
And she woke me up this morning with a horrible poop.

So am I looking at an allergy or an intolerance?
I may have either, but not nearly as bad. I get digestive problems when I have milk products, but I can still have them.
My sister will gag a lot, but my mom believes it is an intolerance, not an allergy.
It just doesn't make sense that she'd be vomiting with an intolerance..
I feel horrible for letting it go this far, and I'm thinking of doing allergy testing, as she's also had skin reactions to sweet and sour dipping sauce and a cheese they serve at the bar of a restaurant we go to (we requested some crackers for her and they brought crackers with cheese) so I think that the milk isn't the only thing..

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
November 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
It really can be either. An intolerance is basically an allergy but they don't call it an allergy if the reaction is not IgE mediated. That is literally the only difference. It is possible to have an Anaphylactic protein intolerance depending on how bad the "intolerance" is. Danny technichally has milk and soy protein intolerances...among other things...but they are just as bad as and worse than many of his IgE mediated allergies. If you do see an allergist they will likely do skin prick testing first. If that is positive it is an IgE mediated allergy, if it is negative try for skin patch testing which usually will be positive if it is a non-IgE mediated allergy...or protein intolerance. They could both come back negative but since you know avoiding milk helps the problem that is the most reliable test there is.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Her doctor called me back a little while ago and suggested I give her a lactaid tablet before she has foods with milk in them and if that doesn't work I should cut out dairy..
Does that sound about right?
I have issues with milk, but not nearly as bad as she does.. So I'm so new to all of this..

November 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
It sounds like he suggests lactose intolerance or at least wants to rule that out before cutting out all dairy. Sounds like he is right on track. Intolerance or allergy specification doesn't really matter all that much as long as you know how to tackle it.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

November 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
She hasn't had much of anything prepared with milk as far as I know and has had normal diapers all but one day. I think she got food with too much dairy (she had a chicken salad sandwich with me) and the next morning she had a handful of gross diapers. But for the most part she's good

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search