One more question... wdyd?

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
What do you do when going out to eat, going to family gatherings, etc?
Since Ashlynn has some type of problem with milk (allergy suspected), I'm finding it crazy difficult to make sure she doesn't get too much milk.. More than a couple bites of ice cream could have her throwing up or pooping tons.
Yet I expect people will insist on offering her bite after bite of ice cream, sometimes without asking, because she asks and she's cute. Except, ya know.. they don't have to take her home and clean up her vomit.
Thankfully, my stepdad's father was kind enough to ask prior to feeding her ice cream cake, so I could say "Only one bite or so. She's allergic to milk, so more will make her sick"
At home, I can make food with soymilk (bought our first jug today! ) but what about going out to eat? Avoid anything with milk? Ask how much milk is in some foods and avoid ones I know contain larger amounts (example being mac and cheese)?
How do you deal with your child's allergy and the general public?
It dawned on me a couple days ago and I'm stumped!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
December 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Kristin
I'm sort of an all or none kind of person. I'm pregnant and consider my baby may have the same issues with dairy that I have - it effects my asthma pretty severely. They call it an intolerance but if I have even a little my body knows and get that thick bronchitis cough, even though I don't have bronchitis.

Anyway, when I eat out I always ask for no cheese and try to order things that it would be easy to get without dairy. When I'm at someone else's home it's easy enough for me to say, thank you but I can't eat that. But for a child, I think it's up to you to communicate to people what she can and cannot have. It's easier for them to grasp if it's no dairy, period. When I'm at home it's much easier to control - I get treats like coconut milk ice cream (closest thing to the real thing and very good).

Just my two cents - good luck!
December 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't post here much, but we have a variety of food allergies/intolerances in my house. DS can have a small amount of artificial color but more than a teeny bit and he ends up with hives for a week. So I just tell people that he can't have it. DD is wheat and dairy intolerant. Again, she can have small amount of it, but too much and she gets congested and that almost always leads to an ear infection. So we just tell people she can't have any at all. I am allergic to wheat and I get severe GI problems from any amount, so I avoid completely as well.

We have just told family that is how it is, and they are respectful of it. I do bring all of our own foods to any family gatherings or events because it just seems easier that way. Baking gluten free is tough and can be expensive if you don't do it regularly.

When we are out, I try to choose items that I know the kids can have or things that can be easily modified for them if need be. Also because they can have a little I know if they get some in a dining out meal I can modify the rest of their day easily enough to exclude it at home.

Good luck!

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
December 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Family for us was the biggest nightmare. Since reactions were mostly digestive they just assumed I was lying to make their lives difficult (only the inlaws but ALL of them...) When we go anywhere out to eat Danny just has his own plate that we bring with us. He has 13 food allergies so avoiding and limiting just doesn't work for us. I will also bring a name tag with us if he is going to be somewhere without me (a new church that has snacks, mothers day out, etc) that I will write his name, "MULTIPLE FOOD ALLERGIES" "CARRIES EPIPEN" "DO NOT FEED ME" All caps, each on a separate line. It is easier for us that way because there are so many and some are EXTREMELY sensitive. My mother will cook 1 or 2 things at thanksgiving and christmas that he can have and that has helped him but he will pretty much tell you that you can't eat your food. If I am standing there handing him something and you are handing him the same thing he will tell you that yours will make him sick. I love that part. He is old enough to know at least some now.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search