Way too close for my comfort...

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 24th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We had Christmas with my parents and my sisters (one is from out of town) tonight so that we could all be together. Well, my sister gave Danny a cookie that she had made after going over the ingredients SEVERAL times... I took one bite after Danny ate one and knew it had almond extract in it. EEEKKK!!!! I gave him an emergency dose of benadryl within 30 seconds of him eating the cookie and he still had a lot of lip, cheek, and tongue swelling. He said he was going to be sick right after he ate it but didn't get sick. We called the on call and she said that she is right on the edge of saying to give him the Epi and sending us to the hospital but said to watch really close and if anything gets worse or if anything new crops up we will need to give him the Epi and take him in ASAP. We need to redose the Hydroxizine at 10 pm regardless. Tree nuts are ANA and if I hadn't acted so quick I don't know what would have happened. Not everything can be tasted like that but I will definitely be tasting before I give him anything from now on. I thought at least my own sister would be able to remember knowing how severe it was but I guess not... This just royally stunk. She feels horrible and now I get to redose for 24 hours at 6 hour intervals (rather than 4 hour intervals) after 10 until tomorrow evening to keep any lingering reactions away. :/ This is not how we wanted to spend Christmas...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

December 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! what a scary thing to happen. Very quick reaction on your part. I'm sure your sister feels terrible. Glad to hear he is alright though. I think all of us that have kids with food allergies fear something like this happening ....being told something is safe when in fact it isn't (b/c something was overlooked). It really is a scary situation.
December 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I have always been nervous around everyone but my mother and sisters...now I will be nervous around everyone.... I am really glad he is okay though and aside from a rash a few hours later he had no other issues.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search