New to allergies

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By i3ai3ydanny

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm Christina and we found out yesterday Jamie has a food allergy. We are removing one food at a time to find out what she is allergic to. We started with milk. Jamie is soo upset right now because she wants mac and cheese and ice cream. Do you all have any good recipies for milk free foods.
February 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Sorry you are here now too but Welcome!

For mac and cheese you can try getting goat cheese and heating it and adding goat's milk to it until it is a thinner consistency and spreading it over noodles. We do that. It is definitely not the same but it is as close as Danny gets to mac and cheese. There are TONS of recipes online for ice cream. My favorite milk to use is coconut milk but Danny can't have that anymore. I haven't tried any with oat milk yet but you can just search "___ Milk homemade ice cream recipes" and you will get a LOT of results.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 20th, 2012, 09:43 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We love coconut milk! I have learned that pretty much any recipe can be subsituted with a different milk...coconut, soy, almond, hemp etc. The least allergenic ones will be the coconut or hemp. I bought a lot of recipe books after my youngest was diagnosed, but I have found that I can just take any old recipe and just use my safe milk, and my go-to cheese replacements.

We like:
Coconut milk
Hemp milk
Daiya cheese products
Nutritional yeast (very odd, but has a cheesy flavor)
and there are so many soy/rice/coconut ice creams out there!

It is SO overwhelming in the beginning, but if I can get to this less overwhelming side, then you can too!
Suzannah (2.5)

March 9th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks we officially got the milk allergy diagnosis yesterday. We have been doing a lot of recipie searching. The hard part now is getting her school on board. They do not allow packed lunches but they are not getting the allergy thing.
March 9th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I would get a Dr's note, because this is considered something that an IEP or 504 plan can be written for. There is no excuse for them not being on board with the home lunches. You have no other choice. Let me know if you need any help!
Suzannah (2.5)

March 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
They are trying but giving her cheese pizza thinking it was Ok because they pulled the cheese off is bothering me. Just because you pulled the visible cheese off doesn't make it milk free.
March 9th, 2012, 10:33 AM
There are training opportunities on Kids With Food Allergies. The staff at her school can actually take the classes for credit and get some information. Or, print out information about food allergies. I would also have the DR note, and give them a list of things she absolutely CANT have. This includes cheese! Goodness sakes! That would give me a heart attack! lol
Suzannah (2.5)

March 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM
With them still learning I'm glad her symptoms mainly affect her GI tract. She gets bloated to where she looks pregnant, extremely gassy, has diarrhea, and is very moody after she has milk. I don't know what I would do if she had worse reactions.
March 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
That is how Danny reacts to milk as well... I agree with them...try to see if they will do the training and get familiar with what she can't have. Make sure they know to check ingredient labels. Less than 2% is still too much for her to have. They may try to sneak things in occasionally to "see what happens". I had family do that for a while...we stopped seeing that side of the family for months afterward until they got it... I know that isn't an option but they either need to ensure that they can keep it 100% out of allow you to bring her food...
momma2princesses likes this.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
That is how Danny reacts to milk as well... I agree with them...try to see if they will do the training and get familiar with what she can't have. Make sure they know to check ingredient labels. Less than 2% is still too much for her to have. They may try to sneak things in occasionally to "see what happens". I had family do that for a while...we stopped seeing that side of the family for months afterward until they got it... I know that isn't an option but they either need to ensure that they can keep it 100% out of allow you to bring her food...

I 100% agree. My daughter has had a week long hive, sinus infection, infected eczema reaction because of ONE corner of a sour cream and onion pringle. I swiped it out of her mouth but she got enough. Its not about the amount of an allergen at all. Print the documentation and have a serious sit down with them. Any dairy to an allergic child is too much dairy.
Suzannah (2.5)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search