14 month old with allergies, new here

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2012, 08:29 AM
Mama to Aidan & Caleb
Hello ladies,

My name is Lauren (member of the Feb 2011 playroom and the September 2012 birth club) I have a 14 month old son named Aidan who we are struggling with lately.

Aidan's background - severe reflux as an infant (started at just hours old) put on medication that took the burning away but didn't help the reflux amount, he had to be fed every 1.5 hours to keep gaining weight. He was hospitalized for a stomach virus and they did testing for the reflux at the time and upped his medicine. He was switched to formula at 4.5 months and it was HELL (excuse the language) we seriously tried 10 formulas because if he wasn't puking uncontrollably he was broken out in eczema, hives and rashes along with diarrhea and mucus in the stool, they put him on Similac Alimentum (sp?) but his reflux became the worst it had ever been so he was removed after 3 weeks. Long story short he was switched to cow's milk at 12months per the instructions of his pediatrician and he puked non-stop, had mucus filled diarrhea, vomiting, sever eczema and hives. I quickly stopped that and was told to switch to Lactaid, again the same things continued but I was told to continue it for at least a month to see if the reactions lessened or stopped. He's now 14 months old and just switched to Almond Milk, he suffers with uncontrollable eczema, chronic loose stools which range from loose with mucus to diarrhea, rashes and hives. He has an allergy appointment set up for May 10th and he'll be tested then but I can almost guarantee he's got a milk protein allergy and possibly a soy one as well as seasonal allergies. I feel terrible for him having suffered all this time but his pediatrician refused to refer him to anyone till after a year despite his issues from birth. Oh yeah and he was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 4 months, asthma at 10 months as well as anemia at 13 months

((Thank you so much Bokkechick for my beautiful signature photo))
May 1st, 2012, 09:15 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I can TOTALLY relate to what you are going through.. My 2 1/2 year old is an allergic child and he has the atopic traid.. He has asthma, food/environmental allergies, eczema, and hay fever.. All diagnosed before the A.J of two.. His issues started around 3 months old.. First eczema (severe), then asthma at 4 months old, then hay fever.

I had to fight to get him the help he needed. It was hard but it has gotten better.. I hope you get the answers your looking for..

I've heard doctors don't like to do allergy testing on babies.. I bypassed them and went to an Asthma and Allergy clinic without a referral.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 1st, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
May 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We had the same issue. Thankfully Danny got referred from his GI doc because the ped wouldn't do anything at that point. After that it has been a long road to finding 15 food allergies. Have you eliminated milk and milk products from his diet completely? Casein or whey even in small amounts can irritate a milk allergy or milk protein intolerance and when someone has milk protein issues they are MUCH more likely to have soy protein issues as well because the proteins are VERY similar. We have milk and soy issues as well as many many others and will be having a g-tube placed next week to find the remaining allergies that are causing so many GI issues. He may also have problems with nuts if you have cut out milk and soy completely but haven't had any luck with the nut milks. Just a tip...protein intolerances won't show up on skin prick tests or blood allergy tests because these only test for allergies that are flared up by the "IgE" part of the immune system. Everything mediated by another part of the immune system won't show up on these two. We have had to use patch testing for 4 of Danny's most troublesome allergies. Also, most children with soy intolerances can tolerate soybean oil and soy lecithin...however this does NOT apply to soy allergies and always start with taking all soy 100% out and then add one of these back in at a time.

I hope you get answers soon. I am so sorry you have had to watch him struggle so long.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search