My six-month-old has a whole list of allergies!

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By i3ai3ydanny
  • 1 Post By Tiki
  • 1 Post By Adriana's Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2012, 07:54 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
My name is Krissandra, mom to Lucas (born 11/3/11) and Caleb (4/30/10). I am completely new to allergies, as my older son has never had any, and neither has my husband (except spring allergies) nor myself.

I am currently tandem nursing my two boys, and my youngest Lucas has had horrible eczema since he was just a few weeks old. He's also always been a very fussy baby, very gassy, waking often through the night, and has always scratched himself all over after developing random rashes. I thought it was just eczema, until I learned that eczema can be food allergy related.

Well, about two weeks ago, Lucas broke out in hives just minutes after milk from my cereal bowl splashed onto his walker tray when my toddler bumped into me. The most he could have done was rub his hands in it before I got it all wiped up. After I wiped it up, I noticed his eyes were red and puffy, and a rash had spread all the way down his cheeks. Then he started itching himself relentlessly, so I took him outside and saw in the daylight that he had big welts popping up all over his jaw and neck.

After growing up with a younger sibling who has ideopathic anaphylaxis, I was panicking because I didn't know if he was about to swell up and stop breathing - and the nearest hospital is 20 minutes away. Thankfully, his breathing seemed fine. Well, after a crazy ordeal of rushing to get Benedryl and flying to his pediatrician's office, his doctor tried to talk the situation down and brush the hives off as "not serious," and that kids "get them all the time," which I thought was absolutely ridiculous since the next allergic episode could be worse. After insisting that I find out what it was that caused them, we got referred to an allergist, whom we just saw day before yesterday.

A back scratch test was performed, and minutes after, big hives started popping up on his little tiny back. The allergist came in and looked surprised to see so many. The verdict? He's a 4+ to milk, eggs, and peanuts (as well as cats, but that's not food), a 3+ to wheat, and a 2+ to tomatoes. (He's also a 2+ to dogs and tree pollen, and a 1+ to dust mites. Sheesh.) Guess what most of my diet has always consisted of? Yeah, pretty much ALL of those foods. No wonder this poor kid has been so miserable! We go back in another few weeks for a blood test to get his RAST scores to see how severe his peanut allergy is, and to test for a few other things.

So, I am now equipped with an EpiPen Jr. and I've been on an elimination diet for two days now. I can already tell it's going to be a BIG challenge! But I will do anything for my baby in order to continue breastfeeding. The only thing that scares me is that I keep wondering, what ELSE could he be allergic to? They only tested for the big ones, and he was allergic to pretty much all of them. *sigh* Only time will tell. Hopefully he outgrows most of these!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 30th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Wow! Poor guy! It will be really tough for the first 4-6 grocery trips but after that things get easier. If you live near a Kroger they have a great gluten free and health food section. Also, many websites have top 8 free foods. Top 8 free refers to a food being free of the 8 most common food allergies. Eggs, milk, peanuts, and wheat are in that list. Tomatoes are relatively easy to avoid though. Danny is the first person in even my extended family to have more than one allergy aside from my dad who is mildly allergic to walnuts and pecans... He has a TON more medical problems though so we are starting to think his are a repercussion of his underlying immune system issue.

Also, if you are catching them this early and avoiding them there is a better chance that he will outgrow them. I think it is 30% that will outgrow them do so by age 3, 60% by age 6, and 90% by age 9 but I may have that mixed up. Danny isn't outgrowing any of his and is still adding many more and he is almost 5. He told us the stats a few years back so it is very possible that I am wrong on that. I hope the transition is easy for you guys! Once you get a routine it is much less difficult than it is at first.
krissy1989 likes this.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

June 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel your pain, Orion is allergic to pretty much the same things. It gets easier as they grow more, in the begining it is pretty overwhemling. I try to concentrate on all the things he can eat, when you look at it really, it is a MUCH more then he can't. I delayed introduction of other allergens. Oh beware of baby Mum Mums (They say may contain milk and eggs but I'm pretty sure they DO) Many kids can grow out of their egg and wheat allergies, DH grew out of his wheat one and I my egg.

EDIT: I forgot to add, keep breastfeeding as long as you can, it is one of the best things you can do for a allergic child It will help heal his gut. You will need to cut dairy out of your diet as it can pass through breastmilk. LLL told me egg protein is too large to get through breastmilk, and wheat. It can take up to 2 weeks to eliminate from your milk.
krissy1989 likes this.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; June 2nd, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
June 2nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I've cut out all his allergens - I didn't know that egg and wheat proteins were too large! One Googling experience and I was sure those proteins passed through. I'm sure LLL would know more than whatever sources I read. But that's all right - I've gotten into a good routine of avoiding everything, so I won't turn back now. Dairy has been hard because of cheese, but otherwise soy milk has been a calcium saver.

From this other forum I joined (Kids With Food Allergies), a lot of those moms told me that the back scratch test can give false positives. After a little experiment with tomatoes (that was one allergen I was pretty sure was a false positive), I'm sure he's not allergic to them. No hives, no crying, no rash, etc. So, one down! For the Top 8 allergens, I'll wait to do in-office food challenges to rule out any more false positives. I don't want him cutting out food that he doesn't need to cut out!

On a plus side, I've already lost six pounds.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
June 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
I've cut out all his allergens - I didn't know that egg and wheat proteins were too large! One Googling experience and I was sure those proteins passed through. I'm sure LLL would know more than whatever sources I read. But that's all right - I've gotten into a good routine of avoiding everything, so I won't turn back now. Dairy has been hard because of cheese, but otherwise soy milk has been a calcium saver.

From this other forum I joined (Kids With Food Allergies), a lot of those moms told me that the back scratch test can give false positives. After a little experiment with tomatoes (that was one allergen I was pretty sure was a false positive), I'm sure he's not allergic to them. No hives, no crying, no rash, etc. So, one down! For the Top 8 allergens, I'll wait to do in-office food challenges to rule out any more false positives. I don't want him cutting out food that he doesn't need to cut out!

On a plus side, I've already lost six pounds.
That is great news!
I called LLL in a panic from the hospital when Orion had his really bad first reaction to eggs, (There was no way I was asking them at the small town hospital that was already raising eyebrows at me nursing him) and they checked with their liasons and that was what they came back with. (I have eaten egg containing products and no reaction from him, thank goodness, and he is REALLY sensitive)
For tomatos also something to watch out for is diaper rash, some kids and babies may not show the ususal allergic symptoms but it will show up in their diaper area ( eczema, red ring around the anus) The tests are not infalliable. I take them with a grain of salt, they are useful to give you a general direction.
With Dairy, cheese was the hardest for me to cut out too. I found now that he is older and not feeding as much I can have some cheese, and yogurt.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
June 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm sorry your going through so much with your LO.. And being so young is tough.. My son had allergy issues since he was 3 months old so I know the feeling..

We are doing a gluten Free Casien free diet, plus avoiding his regular allergies, similiar to your son. Did you know there is Gluten in tooth paste? I had no idea until our doctor told us.. So we use a special tooth paste with probiotics.
krissy1989 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search