Hello!

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Lauren
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself to this board as I will probably be frequenting it now- my almost two year old son was recently diagnosed as having a peanut allergy. My name is Lauren and my son's name is Ursul. I look forward to getting to know you ladies and gleaning some advice from you. I've been a bit down in the dumps since the dreaded diagnosis was made. Right now I just want to know, does it get easier to relax with a potentially life threatening allergy looming over your child's head? I just feel like I want to avoid play dates and parties all together from here on out, but I don't want my son to be a bubble boy, KWIM? How do you find balance?
July 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hi there.. I'm Melissa and my 2 year old has allergies as well.. Honestly, it is hard.. You'll find yourself looking at labels and avoiding restaurants. But it does get easier once you have a routine down.

How I find balance? Lot fresh fruits/veggies and cook home made meals. I avoid prepared meals and can soup, easy seasoning packets, etc.. When we go out to restaurants, I bring snacks and food with me for him to eat. I just don't give him any kinds of sweet foods like cookies,etc.. I have lots of fruits to replace those. I'm a bit depressed about a birthday cake.. I'm at a loss on what to do.. My son has a long list of allergies and food sensitivities, trying to find a cake recipe free from Gluten, Egg, Cocoanut, Soy, Oats, Milk, Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Almonds..

July 7th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Lauren
Hi Melissa! Nice to "meet" you

I don't envy you having to find a cake recipe without all those things! I am gluten free myself and I have trouble with cakes and baked goods with just the gluten issue. I will say that recently I discovered a line of gluten free flours called Maninis- they are pretty great IMO. Have you tried baking with lard? It's nice because it adds a bit of lightness to baked goods, kind of counteracts the heaviness of gluten free flours. Also, and this might sound weird, have you ever seen a recipe for chocolate avocado frosting? I've tried it and it's awesome, waaaay better than it sounds! Just throwing out some ideas for ya, good luck!
July 10th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hi Lauren.

Thank you so much for the info.. I haven't done any baking just yet. Last time I tried to make Potato cakes with Garbanzo bean flour.. They were like bricks and tasted awful.. lol >.< I will have to keep the lard in mind when I get brave enough to bake again. I'd love to have the recipe for the Avacado frosting. I would love to try it out before my son's birthday.

I haven't seen the brand Maninis in my area, but lots of Namaste Foods. I noticed they have a chocolate cake recipe. I wonder if it will be okay to use egg replacement with the mix..

July 19th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Melissa-Could you use a gluten free pancake mix, add cocoa powder and sugar to the mix and make a few pancakes then stack them like a small layer cake? That is what I did with Danny before he was taken off all foods and put on Elecare Jr. He LOVED them. You can use enjoy life chocolate chips and rice milk (or whatever milk sub you use) and heat the milk to just below boiling then add the chips. I think it is 1 part milk to 2 parts chips. It was super yummy and Danny's favorite cake.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 8th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Great thread. Thanks for the nice post.
July 17th, 2014, 08:38 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
You could use dairy and soya free butter, not sure where you are from but we have one in the uk called vitalite and pure both are dairy and soya free... replace the flour with a gluten free one and replace the egg with a banana, if milk is needed you could try rice milk. I made a cake recently for my son, we used gluten free flour, banana (instead of egg) and vegetable oil.. we put in vanilla for flavour, i see your little one is allergic to it but you can use something else for flavour instead of vanilla essence

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

July 19th, 2014, 11:55 PM
mindy scott's Avatar I love being me :)
Hello ! This is my first time on the FA board here. My daughter went ANA back in January 4 days after her 12th bday. Since then her allergies have changed and changed again. They dont under stand why . She started out being ANA to chicken and severely allergic to Broccoli , crab , wheat , anything outside to none of those well mildly to chicken and now garlic and corn. Corn is in everything worst allergy ever !!! Thankfully shes very corn lite. Lately shes been having issues with peanuts. Light reactions thou thankfully. Its been a mess.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search