Eczema

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 06:04 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Hi ladies, I don't have any experience with food allergies or any allergies so can I get some advice from you?

I have a 7.5 month old boy who has been trying solids for about 2 months now. We are mostly doing baby led weaning so he doesn't eat a whole lot of anything (except mum-mums) but really enjoys feeding himself and is very resistant to purees.

I would say around the time we first started solids he developed a tiny patch of eczema on his left cheek, a little smaller then a dime. It seemed to come and go and I didn't think at the time it was related to food. He's always had a little behind his ears ever since he was a newborn. Our nurse told me it was probably a reaction to something but if it wasn't bothering him or spreading not to worry as there wasn't much I could do and it could have been anything causing it.

However, last week it started to spread across the cheek and this week it has bloomed in to two big patches on both cheeks. Finally this morning when I woke up it was all across his forehead as well. I have considered that its his sheets as he is a tummy sleeper but I use an organic detergent with no fragrances for sensitive skin and I also wash his clothes in the same detergent and have never seemed to have a problem before.

The only other thing I can think of is the food. Last week when it seemed to start getting worse we had also tried egg yolks but he hasn't had any in 5 days because I thought that might be the reason and it hasn't gotten any better just a whole lot worse. We've also tried broccoli recently (I can't remember when I started it but sometime in the last two weeks), but again he hasn't had any in several days now. On Wednesday I did try him on potato for the first time and yesterday but I don't think he really ate any of it.

When I try a new food I always try it by itself for three days to make sure he doesn't have any problems.

What are your opinions? Is this a reaction to food? Or is it likely something else - we also go to swimming lessons once a week a the local pool (maybe its the chlorine? I always give him a good washing after a swimming lesson). Do I need to stop all the solids for a while and see if it goes away? Should I go see his doctor.

Pinterest
Flickr

Last edited by one.juniper; March 22nd, 2013 at 06:07 AM.
September 8th, 2013, 03:05 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
Hello how is his face now? my son had bad eczema on his face and had allergies, I have just posted on this forum x

November 21st, 2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran
I would say gluten especially if he is reacting to mum mums. I would hold any grains until after a year if you think this is the case. My child is 9 months and we still are EBF. Sometimes it takes some babies 10 months or even a year to start producing the enzymes they need to break down starch. Just my thought on what little I know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search