Celiac or Gluten Allergy in toddler

Forum: Food Allergies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Food Allergies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
this stars way back to the week of christmas. Keegan (2yrs) started having diarrhea the weekend before. i really wasn't worried about it because they go to daycare and i figured maybe he picked up a bug, or ate something bad. whichever. and plus the entire week of Christmas he was home with DH so i wasn't worried.

the next week, he still had diarrhea. again, not too concered, i wrote it off as another bug or some yucky food. everyday, 3x a day he had diarrhea diapers.

finally last week i told DH i think something is wrong. i started worrying because if he was having this much diarrhea, then he wasn't absorbing any nutrients from the food he was eating. he had also stopped eating as much and just picked at his food (he used to eat everything in sight and then some). after talking to my brother's gf (who was recently diagnosed with celiac) she started asking about what he was eating and how long after he had a bowel movement. she was suggesting maybe we try gluten free and lactose free to just see if his immune system needs a reset. so i bought gluten free bread and lots of fruits and veggies and she gave me a good list on what she has tried that works for her. after taking keegan to same day clinic they had us take a whole bunch of stool samples (that was a TON of fun...) to test for parasites and viruses. they all came back negative.

for two days he ate nothing but gluten free foods and he seemed to be feeling better. he wasn't complaining about his tummy as much and his BM's were beginning to thicken up. then on saturday, at a family party, someone had accidentally given him a bun and i think he was sneaking cookies because out of no where he BLEW up in his diaper. i called the clinic to schedule an app for first thing monday morning.

DH just text me to say the doc has decided to officially test him for celiac. and i'm kind of upset. apart of me wants that to be it so we know how to fix it, but i really don't want my kid to have to give up all these foods that he loves.

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
January 27th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran
It is ok. I study gluten sensitivity for a career and I am myself and almost 30% of the population is gluten intolerant but just doesn't know it. It is actually a blessing because the grains that are in our food are so bad for you anyway, you don't want to feed your kid them. Look up what a GMO is and you will see they are not good and totally cause cancer.

Check out Gluten Free society on the web. Dr. Ozborne is the best.
January 31st, 2014, 09:56 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
UPDATE:

had him tested for celiac, rotavirus, a few other things, everything came back normal but he STILL has diarrhea (since we slowly started switching him off the gluten free)

when he was on the gluten free diet, he seemed to start to even out, but since switching off, he has it all over again. he hasn't been tested for a gluten allergy yet, that may be the next step. i think we're going to try probiotics (at the docs request) and see if maybe his little system just needs a reset.

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search