Help please...trying to explain something

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM
geo-geek
Okay, one of my friends has been looking into FAM and with the one "yucky" book she has read (she doesn't like the idea of CM) she is determined that she ovulates 2-3 times a month and is "always fertile" If she has already read a book and holds this to be true I am not sure I can convince her otherwise. I have yet to convince my mom that she got pregnant with my brother because she mistook ovulation spotting with AF. Because of that one pregnancy she is determined that she ovulated 2 times a month...her doctor actually told her this 29 years ago. I don't want to offend her. I just know I need to tell her of the contrary! She was using the "rythem" method and she is calling it birth control when she got pregnant with 2 of her kids. Again she is determined that the 2-3 times a month ovulation is why. Please help! How do I even start talking about all these misconceptions? UGH!
March 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
If she's looking into FAM, I would totally have her read TCOYF. That's the book that goes with our method anyway, unless that is the book she's actually reading. In which case if she's grossed out by the prospect of looking at her own CM, then maybe FAM isn't the way to go with her. I would have her temp for a month or two and that can give you an idea as to "if" she actually is ovulating "2-3 times a month". At least then, you'd have proof that it isn't so.

Sounds to me she isn't all that comfortable with her own body, and that's normal for some women. If I were in your shoes, I'd just take it one step at a time. Start with the temps, then the VS, then slowly graduate to CM.
March 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the best you can do is just try to offer the correct information and if she chooses to disregard it, then there's not much else you can do. If she's a good friend, give her a copy of TCOYF as a gift!

Or you could always try, "Wow! If you're really ovulating 2-3 times a cycle, you should chart that for medical research! I bet researchers would want to see that, it's so rare!" (Ok, it's so rare it's actually not possible...but you know what I mean. LOL)

Some people are just determined to cling to misconceptions about fertility no matter what. Maybe it's a pride thing because they don't want to admit maybe they were mistaken? I don't know. I know I've encountered people who are just absolutely set on believing the whole double ovulation thing, no matter how much I try to present them with the accurate scientific information about that. It's especially frustrating when women swear they've had charts with two thermal shifts and two mucus Peaks, but are unwilling or unable to produce the chart as proof. Hey, if it actually did happen, that's a chart I'd want to see! I still have never seen one of those alleged double ovulation charts. LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search