Who's lurking?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Come out, come out wherever you are! Why are are you lurking - got questions? Just curious? Just for fun?
April 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
I'm lurking, but only because I'm preggers
April 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
im here!!! Just confused
April 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Care to expand on what you're confused about? Maybe we can help!
April 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Me cause I am not happy....

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

April 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I'm lurking. I just popped in from Waiting to TTC to find out some more info. I am on BCP and DH and I don't DTD very often (and I, personally, would welcome an "oops") so I am thinking of going of BCP and using some other method. I'm also trying to lose weight and I was wondering what effect going off BCP would have on my weight loss. Plus when we were TTC once before my cycles were all over the place. I am interested in getting my cycles regulated long before we start TTC again (which I'm hoping might be as early as next spring) and seeing what effect my weight loss has. I just wanted to get some more info before I pitch the idea to DH!

April 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Welcome! Be sure to read through the FAQ and Resource Stickies! Those should point you in the right direction!

Edited to say OH NO!!!! I just noticed that the Resource Sticky got all messed up when Justmommies switched over and I never noticed until now! Off to fix that!

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; April 16th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
April 17th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I've checked out some of the resources and I have some dumb questions. Why shouldn't you use Fertility Friend if you are TTA? Aren't you essentially charting the same information as in other charting software? Is there any charting software out there for NFP or FAM that is free?

April 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Two reasons. FF's mucus observations aren't comprehensive enough for avoiding, they just go into the basics. That's all you need for TTC, but you need a much more comprehensive understanding of it for avoiding. Secondly, FF is notorious for false interpretations - usually telling people they've ovulated when they actually haven't yet. Obviously, that's a BIG problem if you're TTA!!!

It's perfectly fine to use FF for sharing your chart places like this, but it shouldn't be used as a substitute for an actual NFP chart - even if it's just a paper one!

nfpcharting.com is only compatible with the Billings Ovulation Method.

CyclePro is very good, but you have to buy it. It goes along with the NFP Course that the Couple to Couple League offers.

Ovusoft is also very good, but not free either.

Basically, for NFP to be effective, you do have to invest a bit of time to learn it properly and may have to also invest in a ecent charting program if you'd rather do that than paper charting. But the perks are worth it! No ongoing costs after that, no medical risks, high effectiveness, and after you get through the learniing phase it's really easy!

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; April 18th, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
April 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmmm... why am I lurking? We aren't TTC or TTA right now. Someday we will probably use some form of NFP or FAM if we have a serious need to avoid pregnancy. I guess I'm just fascinated that you can know when you ovulate based just on CM. I charted my temps for 2 months when we were TTC (about a year ago) and I could pretty much tell when I had ovulated by that (after the fact). I tried to see a pattern in my CM, but I never did. I also never seemed to have the really fertile "egg-white" CM. I'm wondering if that's why it took us 6 months to conceive. When I did get pg, we were using pre-seed and I was taking Mucinex to thin out my CM. I'm EBF w/ some pumping, but I thought I may have had AF back at about 6 weeks PP. So I was going to start temping to see if I'm ovulating, but I always forget in the morning. DS sleeps through the night, so that's not a problem. A few weeks ago I did have some stretchy CM ( not slippery, just stetchy~sorry if TMI) and some cramping, but AF hasn't shown again and I'm thinking she would have if I had ovulated.

I guess I'm just curious. I have a few friends who use NFP really successfully, but I've never asked them any details.

My Ovulation Chart
April 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the info ShawnaCAN! I went to the library yesterday and got some books, TCOYF and Natural Birth Control. I just started reading TCOYF this morning. It's so interesting and there's so much to learn but I'm looking forward to it. I hope I can convince DH of this method.

April 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
on how not to get pregnant (again) charting stuff..etc

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search