Hello ladies...intro and a few questions

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello, ladies, my name is Sara. I am married to the man of my dreams, Jaysen, and currently expecting our second baby. I am very interested in practicing NFP after the birth of this baby, and here's why:

I was pretty clueless about birth control when I got married (as DH was my first and I had never needed it before). We decided not to wait, so I never used anything until after the birth of Cassidy, our first. My midwife suggested the Paraguard IUD, and it was covered by insurance, so I went ahead and got one. I'm completely against putting a lot of chemicals and hormones in my body, so that's why we thought the copper IUD might work well for us. Boy was I wrong! I had constant cramping, spotting, and even days of heave bleeding, for 2 solid months with that thing! My midwife checked it several times, and each time it was inserted correctly and there was no infection. Finally I just told her to yank that sucker out and be done with it!

A while later it was discovered I had a large cyst on my right ovary, just as I was getting ready to TTC#2, so the midwife suggested 2 months of Yaz (BCP) to shrink the cyst, thus making TTC easier afterwards. Wow. How nasty was that stuff? I hated it. Jaysen hated it. I was a wreck until I finally got off of it. So now I'm not really insterested in returning to any type of birth control after this baby is born, as you can probably understand. Yet I would like to have a few months to a year to let my body recover before getting pregnant again. So here I am! (Wow, this is a book, sorry girls)

However, I have some concerns with NFP that I'm sure some of you can answer for me.
1.) I seldom get a 3-hour block of time asleep before I wake in the morning, and I'm sure that's not going to improve after this baby is born, lol. How do you all manage to get accurate temps readings if this is the case?

2.) I have pretty chronic sinus issues and sometimes sleep with my mouth open...I know this affects temping and I'm not sure how to get around this...maybe vaginal temping?

3.) My husband is concerned with the avoiding during my fertile period, because that's when I always want sex and it's the best for both of us (Men, lol). How do you keep things fun when you miss the best time of the month?

4.) Are there different methods of NFP? Can you explain them?

Thanks in advance, ladies! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

April 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the boards! I'll do my best to answer your questions, but if anything is still unclear - just ask, ok?

1.) I seldom get a 3-hour block of time asleep before I wake in the morning, and I'm sure that's not going to improve after this baby is born, lol. How do you all manage to get accurate temps readings if this is the case?

There are NFP methods which do not require temping at all, maybe one of those would be a better fit for you?

2.) I have pretty chronic sinus issues and sometimes sleep with my mouth open...I know this affects temping and I'm not sure how to get around this...maybe vaginal temping?

Vaginal temping would take care of that perfectly.

3.) My husband is concerned with the avoiding during my fertile period, because that's when I always want sex and it's the best for both of us (Men, lol). How do you keep things fun when you miss the best time of the month?

We spend time staying connected in other ways, playing games, watching movies...kind of like when we were dating. We still have lots of non-sexual physical contact - like holding hands, hugging, kissing to express our affection for each other. For us, the waiting part is annoying - but the honeymoon afterward is really, really special. Makes it all worth it. You know what they say, abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. LOL

4.) Are there different methods of NFP? Can you explain them?

Yes, there are lots! If you pop into the Online Resource Sticky in this forum, you will see a link to the NFP Method Comparison. That explains a bit about all the different ones.

Hope that helps!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search