questions, questions, questions

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
I think I am confused. LOL! Well, maybe I should not be laughing. I am charting TTA, but I'm thinking there is a chance I may have been confused along the way. Oops.

But then again, maybe not. I am using FF and Ovusoft (the 15 day trial) and the charts do not reflect the same information. It seems that if I take my temp 30 mins before or after my normal time, Ovusoft changes my temperature. I believe it goes up a tenth of a degree.

My chart on FF shows that I probably ovulated on CD12, correct?

23d149 Ovulation Charts

But I'm not sure where on my Ovusoft chart where I ovulated
I guess I would say CD12, but doesn't my temp need to go above the coverline? Or not necessarily?

bessie17's WebCharts

I only have 1 more day left before I have to buy Ovusoft, but I'm not sure if I want to.. FF seems easier to read and decifer, IMO.

One last question Does it really mean anything when your temp dips after ovulation? I'm probably reading into it too much, but on my chart when I got pregnant with Caden... I had a temp dip 7 DPO and then it spiked, which you can see from this chart.

1bbc71 Ovulation Charts

I also had a temp dip 6 DPO this cycle and then my temp spiked.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
May 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I don't use ovusoft and I don't use FF to chart to avoid so I am really no help here. But if it makes you feel a little better, I almost always get a temp dip in my two week wait and I haven't ended up pregnant yet in the last 17 months.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

May 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
I think your FF chart is wrong that you have ovulated. The reason they put dotted lines for your crosshairs is because something is contradicting that you have already ovulated. Why are there so many open circles on your FF chart? Do you take it at the same time every day, or does it vary?
May 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... I'm sure this won't help, but...

I wouldn't use either. The info you learn from an instructor is a million times better than trying to learn and chart through a computer based programme. I'd stick to charting on paper and use one of those other programmes as a 'back-up' but not for 100% perfect info.

I started using FF, however it kept telling me I wasn't ovulating, but my instructor told me I was, it was just that my 'signs' were more subtle than 'normal'. FF confused me too much, so I just chart on paper.
May 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by :::Dan!elle::: View Post
I think your FF chart is wrong that you have ovulated. The reason they put dotted lines for your crosshairs is because something is contradicting that you have already ovulated. Why are there so many open circles on your FF chart? Do you take it at the same time every day, or does it vary?
I typically take my temperature any time between 3:45am and 5:15am. During the week when I work I get up at 4:15/4:30am - that is the normal time I take my temp. There are times I wake up before my alarm (I hate when I do that!), so I take my temp. On the weekends I wake up a little later.

Maybe I'll try charting on paper next cycle.

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
May 6th, 2009, 08:46 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would strongly encourage you to take a course from a certified instructor, it will make all of this less confusing!

But as for the charts, FF is not recommended for TTA because it often interprets the data wrong. I think your chart is a perfect example of that. It's told you that you've ovulated, but I don't think your CM pattern indicates that you have yet. If temps show ovulation, but CM doesn't - CM trumps temps. It's perfectly fine to use for sharing purposes or just for fun, but don't trust anything it says for actually TTA!

Ovusoft is much more strict about identifying ovulation, so I would be inclined to agree with that one. It was designed based on verified science about fertility. Your CM pattern doesn't look like it has reached a Peak yet.

Like Tasha said, any computer charting program should just be regarded as a help, as a tool. It should not be used as a substitute for being able to interpret the chart all by yourself, a skill most easily learned by taking a course. Takes about an hour to learn from a teacher what it can take months to figure out on your own.

As for oops, anytime you have cervical mucus of any kind and for 3 days after - you are potentially fertile. When there are 3 dry days in a row, you are infertile and can make love on alternating evenings for as long as you remain dry - whether or not ovulation has been confirmed yet. So CD17 would have been considered potentially fertile because you had CM the day before and would count 1, 2, 3 dry days after that.

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; May 6th, 2009 at 08:48 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search