What were you taught on TTA?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
So I REALLY don't want to be pregnant for a while. I mean if it happened I'd end up being happy I know, but I'd really like to avoid it for a while. And I have a friend who was giving me some stuff she learned about NFP when TTA and it was new to me, so I thought I'd ask, what all have you learned about when to abstain while TTA?

June 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, each method of NFP has different rules about that - because each method has slightly different ways of interpreting the signs of fertility. So if you are at all concerned about being able to TTA with confidence, I would definitely encourage you to meet with your teacher to brush up on how the rules that go with your chosen form of NFP. If your friend is using a different form of NFP than you, that's probably why it sounds different.

But to answer your question, these are rules of the Billings Ovulation Method:

Mucus is observed based on sensation and appearance, or what a woman feels and sees. There are 4 rules which accommodate all situations.

Early Day Rules
1. No intercourse on days of heavy bleeding during menstruation.
2. Alternating evenings are available for intercourse after menstruation when the Basic Infertile Pattern is recognized. Everyone's default BIP is dry (nothing felt, nothing seen). If a woman has infertile discharge as part of her BIP, it takes 3 full cycles to identify that and should be done with a teacher. Until then, anything felt or seen is considered potentially fertile.
3. Any mucus or bleeding which interrupts the Basic Infertile Pattern is potentially fertile. Abstain while it is present and until you have 3 full days of BIP again. If Peak is recognized, proceed to the Peak rule.

Peak Rule
4. Intercourse is available at any time beginning on the 4th morning after Peak until the next menstruation.

Hope that helps a bit! So what were you taught exactly???
June 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I use BOM to avoid, so the same rules that Shawna listed. It is a little rough on my DH but in the long run it is worth it (or was for us) cause at the time we really couldn't have another baby yet. My hubby still complains now and we are trying - I think he would be happiest everyday but I'm not. LOL

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

June 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I was taught similar to what you listed there, the only difference was I was taught 3 days was long enough to wait after peak...though it hasn't ever really worked like that for me exactly. I am never truly DRY...OK, retake on that statement, other than right after stopping my postpartum bleed I am never really truly DRY, and I don't just mean discharge, there is always some cm. This didn't used to be AS true as it has been this cycle (my first real cycle since having my most recent baby) and so it is being really rough on dh as since this is my first cycle I have no reason to assume it won't be super long, but we can't do anything right now because it appears I'm fertile, but it has appeared that way for like 2 weeks now...so I'm getting frusterated and he already is.

June 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
You don't have to be totally dry - some women never are. That won't pose a problem for evaluating your CM patterns, it's just a matter of figuring out which observations are your infertile discharge and which is true CM. A teacher can help with that, so good luck tracking one down like you mentioned in the other thread. If you have any trouble with that, don't hesitate to PM me, ok?
June 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thre are four rules for each phase, which of course I can't rmemeber at hte moment, when using the sympto-thermal method. I know that it is 4 days after peak day, but you don't have to be completely dry, just significant drying up. I tend to always have some CM, but I can tell when I have 'dried' up.

SO for the 'rule c': Phase III would begin on the evening of
1. the 3rd day(or more) of thermal shift
2. cross-checked by 4 or more days of drying-up, whichever comes later.

rule k:
1 3rd day of FULL thermal shift
2. cross checked by 2 (or 3) days of drying-up past the Peak day (full thermal shift, three or more consecutive dys of temperatures which are at least 4/10 of a degree F above the low temperature level)

If you are really wanting to avoid it is very important to get instruction from a certified teacher. Avoiding is much more intricate then acheiving.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Which form STM is that - CCL? I thought they did away with Rules B, C, and K (among other things) when the new revisions were implemented in 2008? I could be wrong though, I haven't actually read the new Art of NFP yet or the post partum booklet that goes with it.

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; June 3rd, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
June 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Old CCL, I learned it in 2000, I guess I need to read up on it some more...lol I was just looking at their site and saw that there were revisions, but I don't know what they are.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
From what I understand, the method's had a total make-over and is quite different than it used to be. There's even charting software now, it's supposed to be really good!
June 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
I will have to check it out. I might get the home study course and do it all over since it has been almost 10 years.

Sail Back to Me
June 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am an old school CCLer too (2003) and I was taught if you are TTA you should abstain for ALL of phase II...phase III starts after the 3rd day of the thermal. There is some rule about drying up but I never do so I don't pay attention to it. I know I probably should BUT we are NTNP right now so it does not matter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search