Low basal temperature - question

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Julka
I was reading in an article that it's not exactly 'normal' to have temps below 97F (36.1C). Well, I am having a really bizarre cycle which is what made me look up basal temps. I am on CD27 and still haven't seen a peak/spike on my chart at all. I've been seeing (what seems like) fertile CM over the past couple days, though. My average temp is 35.9C; it seems that my temps range between 35.5 and 36.2 or so. We rely on both CM and temps to indicate I ovulated so it's really strange. I've been taking my temp at the same time every morning. Just curious if it's OK for the temps to be low like that.
June 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
When I was using my old thermometer my temps were never above 97 before ovulation. They always ranged from 95.9 to 96.9. But, now that I have a different thermometer they are staying between 97 and 98. I'm not an expert (*coughs* Shawna), but I was still ovulation when my temps were that low, so I would think it would be ok.
June 3rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually Julia, if you were my client I'd be referring you to your physician or naturopath. Temps that low can indicate low thyroid function (easily treated). Other symptoms of a sluggish thyroid include feeling cold or cold extremities, fatigue, foggy memory, feeling scatterbrained, hair falling out, brittle nails, dry skin. A normal temp range is 36.5 and above. Show them your BBT charts, they often use BBT to diagnose low thyroid.

My thyroid usually takes a temporary nose dive after having a baby (normal in the first 6-12 months post partum). I started supplementing with Flax Seed Oil because it's supposed to boost thyroid function. My temp slowly crept up into a normal range within a few weeks of taking that, and I felt much better overall.
June 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
Actually Julia, if you were my client I'd be referring you to your physician or naturopath. Temps that low can indicate low thyroid function (easily treated). Other symptoms of a sluggish thyroid include feeling cold or cold extremities, fatigue, foggy memory, feeling scatterbrained, hair falling out, brittle nails, dry skin. A normal temp range is 36.5 and above. Show them your BBT charts, they often use BBT to diagnose low thyroid.

My thyroid usually takes a temporary nose dive after having a baby (normal in the first 6-12 months post partum). I started supplementing with Flax Seed Oil because it's supposed to boost thyroid function. My temp slowly crept up into a normal range within a few weeks of taking that, and I felt much better overall.

Thanks, Shawna. Funny because my DH said the same things these morning, that 1) I should go see my doctor, and 2) that it could be low thyroid (he did some research). I have some of the symptoms above - brittle nails & dry skin... the foggy memory I just chalked up to "postpartum mommy brain", it's not strong or anything, but it's there.

I am going to look into the Flax Seed Oil supplement - would that be in the vitamin section of a drug store?
June 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Shawna (hi ladies, it has been a LONG time since I psoted here). If I were in your position I would get my thyroid checked. I had low BBT when I startd using NFP andmy instructor mentioned getting my thyroid checked, I didn't have other symptoms so I declined. That was in 2000. In 2002 I had my second child, had difficulty losing weight and my thyroid was checked. My numbers were 'high normal' at 5.9 for my TSH. In 2005 I had my third child. I lost weight initially and then gained a TON back, had my thyroid checked, my TSH was 100! I should have been in a coma. It turns out that the numbers that are considered high were changed to 3.2 4.0, so I should have been diagnosed in 2002.

My point is, even thoguh I had no other symptoms in 2000 I was probably already having issues. When I was trying to get pregnant with my 4th child I was not able to conceive for 12 months, then they increased my thyroid meds and I was pregnant the next cycle, so the thyroid can throw off your cycles.

I did ovulate, but it would sometimes be delayed. My tems would be low and hten eventually I would get the temp shift. So getting the blood test done for thyroid function wouldn't hurt. Then een if it comes back 'normal' eating and taking supplements that support thyroid function might still benefit you.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have a rare below 97 temp, though my temps are generally just at 97.02 or so before ovulation.

June 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm.... My pre-ovulation temps are normally 36.5 (someones lower than that, but most of the time it's 36.5. Post-ovulation my temps are 36.8 or 36.9.

I do get cold very easily and have cold hands and feet and get really dry skin, but no other issues. Should I be getting my thyroid checked?

(sorry to be stealing your thread here - this is interesting!)
June 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Hmmm.... My pre-ovulation temps are normally 36.5 (someones lower than that, but most of the time it's 36.5. Post-ovulation my temps are 36.8 or 36.9.

I do get cold very easily and have cold hands and feet and get really dry skin, but no other issues. Should I be getting my thyroid checked?

(sorry to be stealing your thread here - this is interesting!)
Your temps sound way higher than mine I am going to wait another cycle and if they're still low, then make a doc appt. I also get cold really easily and have the dry skin going. I guess it doesn't hurt to check, just to know if anything is up.
June 6th, 2009, 04:31 PM
kitkat83's Avatar Veteran
Sorry to just pop in here but i have had low teps forever ive been temping for about 8 month and my temps are always lower then 97 never higher untill i ovulate my boss suggested that i get my thyroid checked but im nervous to get it done but now that i read this and had some of the ladies form the pcos board tell me the same things i think im gonna just have to break down and get it checked
June 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Getting your thyroid checked is no big deal, they jsut do a blood test. If you are hypothyroid they will pt you an medication that helps get your numbers right. It really does help.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 8th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Your temps sound way higher than mine I am going to wait another cycle and if they're still low, then make a doc appt. I also get cold really easily and have the dry skin going. I guess it doesn't hurt to check, just to know if anything is up.
When I went off BCP, my temp's where pretty wacky for a few months, jumping all over the place. It took a a good 6-7 months before I started to get more 'even' temp's both pre- and post-ovulation, so you may be the same. I have had the odd temp below 36.0 as well, but that has seemed to stop now.

Keep us posted on what the doctor says if you go to see him/her! I'd be interested to know what's up...!
June 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
When I went off BCP, my temp's where pretty wacky for a few months, jumping all over the place. It took a a good 6-7 months before I started to get more 'even' temp's both pre- and post-ovulation, so you may be the same. I have had the odd temp below 36.0 as well, but that has seemed to stop now.

Keep us posted on what the doctor says if you go to see him/her! I'd be interested to know what's up...!
Thanks! I was never on BCPs though, so not sure what is up, really. I will KUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablepearl View Post
Getting your thyroid checked is no big deal, they jsut do a blood test. If you are hypothyroid they will pt you an medication that helps get your numbers right. It really does help.
Thank you! I am going to make an appt very soon.
July 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
This is all very interesting as I just posted a post about theis same thing in the Thyroid section of JM. I've been told for months to get my thyroid checked but this past cylce my temps were in the 96s and 97s, I have brittle nails, dry skin and hair loss, and adult acne which ive never had much of problem with before, and my husband has been making fun of me for my scatterbrainess. I seem to be thinking differnt words than I am saying now and again too. I honestly have been feeling like I was going crazy!! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search