So what do you think about this?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
OK, so I want to ask if you'd interpret this the same way I did...

OK, so on March 21st I had my third baby. I bled for 2 weeks, stopped for a few days and then bled off and on til 4 weeks postpartum. Around then I stopped. At 6.5 weeks I started spotting, for two days I had light spotting all day. Then I had light (VERY light) flow for like a day, or two and then spotting or light flow for a nother day. I didn't even need to like wear a tampon or anything for more than maybe an hour.

I considered that my first postpartum period. I started paying more attention to my body then, I had been just kind of casualy doing it, because since I'm breastfeeding I just expected my period to take a LITTLE longer to come back.

About 2 weeks after that I spotted for 2 days again.

I am now on CD 31 with no ovulation (which isn't all that weird considering I had a baby not that long ago, and we're breastfeeding) but it kind of makes me wonder, was that really a period or was it like leftover postpartum bleeding?

Just wondering what your thoughts are, I suppose it doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious.

June 9th, 2009, 02:57 AM
TurnAround
I work on the birth center and I asked a nurse. She said most likely it was the rest of your post partum bleeding. Because not only are you breast feeding but you didn't ovulate, therefore no period...
June 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are fully breastfeeding (no pumping, no bottles, etc) - then any bleeding up to 56 days post partum is considered lochia and not related to fertility. If you meet the conditions for LAM, the chance of pregnancy is only 2% as long as you continue to meet the conditions while breastfeeding.
June 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I don't meet the LAM conditions...I have pumped him a bottle and he has at least once slept for 7 hours straight. And during the day he's even gone for 5 hours like twice. Which is part of why I considered it my period, but I know when I would have ovulated before the period (unless I had a SUPER short leutal phase) I was dry, I know this because that is one of the only times dh and I have DTD since LJ was born and I remember noting how dry I was...which since I almost am never dry it was interesting to me...I'm now 33 days past the day I started the light flow (35 past the day I started spotting) and I still haven't o'd though I am thinking it may be about to happen...so we'll see...

June 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh in that case, you're right to consider yourself out of LAM. You're not covered by LAM because of the pumping, but the number of hours between feeds is not a factor with LAM.
Even though you don't meet the conditions for LAM anymore doesn't automatically mean your fertility is on it's way back. You could still experience breastfeeding inferitlity for awhile, they bleeding *could* have been related to bleeding from birth. The only difference is that you have to confirm a state of infertility with charting.

I would encourage you not to get fixated on the event of ovulation. It could be days, weeks, or months before that happens. Your body might also attempt ovulation several times before finally going through with it, there might be times of infertility in between those attempts. Focus rather on times of fertility and infertility, because your body might go back and forth between the two for awhile.

Doesn't matter how long it takes for ovulation to occur though, any time you are dry (nothing felt, nothing seen) for 3 full days - you are infertile and alternate nights are available until there is a change from nothing felt/nothing seen. If you develop an infertile discharge, let a teacher help you identify that so you can tell the difference between your infertile discharge and fertile mucus (because every woman is unique).

Was that helpful, or WAY too much info?
August 8th, 2009, 03:11 AM
My body for sure has been going back and forth between the two, and we just abstain when it appears to be gearing up even though we know so far it hasn't done anything at the end of that preparing time. If that was a period I'd be on CD 91 (or 93, depending on if you count the spotting as days of AF or not). If it wasn't, then I'm just still not doing anything since having LJ, which officialy will make this the longest I've gone, I got my period while Rock was 4 months old, that doesn't seem all that likely at this point with LJ being over 4.5 months old. I got my period even earlier with Courtney. I can't complain for sure, lol.
And you are always helpful Shawna!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search